- Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim AZ-67, North Rim, AZ
- Salaried/Hourly: Salaried
- FLSA Type: Exempt
- Employment Category: Seasonal
The Kitchen Manager is responsible for all Kitchen operations and achieving department success through effective leadership, communication, and employee management. Runs smooth and organized food services. Monitors food orders for accuracy, quality, and timeliness to ensure an exceptional dining experience.
Operational & Departmental Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the daily operation of the department; Ensures the department is adequately staffed, stocked, and open for business during business hours.
- Maintains proper inventory levels, orders food, paper, and supply products; Follows cost containment and food waste best practices.
- Ensures all Kitchen procedures are followed including proper receiving, storage, labeling, rotation, and portion control of food items; Follows cost containment and food waste best practices
- Prepares/cooks food items and dishes using grill, flat top, oven, fryer, steamer, toaster/salamander, small kitchen appliances, and kitchen utensils including various knives.
- Prepares all food following recipes as written; Follows all kitchen portion control measures.
- Makes cooking adjustments to accommodate guest requests.
- Participates in menu and recipe design; develops features/specials as required.
- Prepares thawing, prep work, side work, and stocking lists and cleaning assignments
- Ensures timely and accurate completion departments reports and logs; Communicates equipment issues and accidents.
- Works with other departments to coordinate food service for special events, resale etc.
- Ensures a positive work environment centered on trust, open communication, and team work; Facilitates problem solving and collaboration throughout the department.
- Acts in a professional manner; leads by example.
- Identifies and works with management to resolve departmental problems and potential problems.
- Works extra shifts and hours throughout the department as required; Covers subordinate duties as needed.
- Responsible for the financial success of the department; Ensures the department complies with financial guidelines and meets or exceeds all financial and operational goals.
- Recommends and implements strategies to maximize revenues and control costs.
- Provides and ensures all internal and external customers receive excellent customer service.
- Strives to achieve and maintain a customer service-oriented department mentality.
- Responds to customer complaints in a professional manner.
- Effectively communicates department and position-specific expectations to department team members.
- Ensures department team members are updated on any relevant news or needs of other departments.
- Communicates and collaborates with other departments and managers and attends staff meetings to provide departmental updates and communicate problems and potential problems.
- Responsible for managing department team members, creating staff work schedules, and training department employees in department standards, security procedures, department operations, and safe work methods.
- Mentors and coaches staff members on developing and improving skills.
- Enforces department standards, policies, and team member expectations; Performs progressive discipline, coaches, and retrains department employees as required.
- Completes detailed and timely performance evaluations.
- Follows and enforces company policies including uniform and grooming standards.
- Verifies payroll hours for department personal.
- Knows and enforces all company Programs and policies, including Environmental, Health, Compliance, and Safety Management Programs and policies.
- Assists in other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Read, write and understand English
- Computer skills including MS Outlook, Word and Excel and POS systems
- Knowledge of kitchen, food, and cleaning standards.
- Excellent management, leadership, training, and communication skill s.
- Strong customer service, time-management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and be self-motivated.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Must have or be able to obtain required certifications upon hire.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM JOB DUTIES:
- Must be able to understand normal conversation and accurately communicate information.
- Ability to stand and walk on paved, unpaved, uneven and sometimes slippery surfaces for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb stairs occasionally.
- Ability to twist, turn, push, pull, and reach down, forward and overhead repetitively; Kneel, squat, stoop and crouch frequently.
- Ability and manual dexterity to use small kitchen utensils/tools and operate appliances such as mixer, ovens, dishwasher, steamer, flat top, grill, fryer, knives, whisks, etc.
- Must be able to use general cleaning supplies; Grasp, lift, push, pull and use cleaning equipment.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds daily.
- Able to work in hot areas of kitchen (around dishwasher, ovens, cooking equipment) and cold areas (walk in refrigerators and freezers).
- Ability to remain seated for extended periods of time.
- Ability to effectively operate a computer including a POS system.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB DUTIES:
- Culinary Degree and 3 years of related work experience, or equivalent combination of work experience and education required.
- Two years supervisory and/or management work experience required
- Culinary or Hospitality Degree preferred
- Menu design and development work experience preferred