Front Desk Manager
- Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim AZ-67, North Rim, AZ
- Salaried/Hourly: Salaried
- FLSA Type: Exempt
- Employment Category: Seasonal
The Front Desk Manager is responsible for ensuring the smooth and efficient operation of the Front Desk including training and supervising employees, facilitating reservations, assisting guests with check in and check out, and responding to and resolving guest complaints.
- Responsible for the financial success of the department; Ensures the department complies with financial guidelines and meets or exceeds all financial and operational goals.
- Responsible for the daily operation of the department; Ensures the department is adequately staffed, stocked, and open for business during business hours.
- Oversees and assists with guest reservations, check ins, and check outs; Assists with and ensures deposits are accurately refunded and cancellations are processed properly.
- Ensures proper accounting procedures are followed; Accurately processes guest payments for lodging, services, rentals, licenses, miscellaneous items, etc.
- Organizes and maintains Front Desk records and equipment; Controls the inventory of Front Desk supplies and forms.
- Provides a weekly occupancy forecast to other departments.
- Ensures the proper handling of all group reservations, arrivals, and tours.
- Ensures a positive work environment centered on trust, open communication, and team work; Facilitates problem solving and collaboration throughout the department.
- Acts in a professional manner; leads by example.
- Identifies and works with management to resolve departmental problems and potential problems.
- Works extra shifts and hours throughout the department as required; Covers subordinate duties as needed.
- Effectively communicates department and position-specific expectations to department team members.
- Ensures all incoming communications to the Front Desk are adequately responded to in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensures department team members are updated on any relevant news or needs of other departments.
- Communicates and collaborates with other departments and managers and attends staff meetings to provide departmental updates and communicates problems and potential problems.
Customer Service Responsibilities:
- Provides and ensures all internal and external customers receive excellent customer service.
- Strives to achieve and maintain a customer service-oriented department mentality.
- Responds to guest questions; Resolves guest complaints in a professional manner.
- Responsible for managing department team members, creating staff work schedules, and training department employees in department standards, security procedures, department operations, and safe work methods.
- Controls labor costs in relation to occupancy rates and number of arrivals.
- Mentors and coaches staff members on developing and improving skills.
- Enforces department standards, policies, and team member expectations; Performs progressive discipline, coaches, and retrains department employees as required.
- Completes detailed and timely performance evaluations.
- Follows and enforces company policies including uniform and grooming standards.
- Verifies payroll hours for department personal.
- Be trained to use an Automated External Defibrillator and know medical emergency procedures.
- Knows and follows all company, Environmental, Health, and Safety Management Programs and policies.
- Assists in other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A valid Driver’s License is preferred.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Excellent Customer Service and communication skills.
- Excellent supervisory, interpersonal, and performance management skills.
- Technical knowledge of Front Desk operations; Ability to use Front Desk communication systems
- Knowledge of Lodging Management Systems.
- Strong accounting, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to resolve guest complaints in a professional manner.
- Ability to calmly and effectively resolve guest problems and concerns.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and be self-motivated.
- Ability to learn all company training materials.
- Excellent time management skills; Ability to work effectively under pressure and in a fast-paced work environment.
- Strong typing and computer skills including POS systems, MS Word, Excel, and email systems.
- Strong mathematical and cash handling skills with attention to accuracy.
- Knowledge of surrounding facilities, activities, and features.
- Must be flexible and open to changes in procedures.
- Excellent ability to multi-task.
- Very good understanding of company policies and procedures.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM JOB DUTIES:
- Must be able to understand normal conversation and accurately communicate information.
- Ability to stand and walk on paved, unpaved, uneven and sometimes slippery surfaces for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb stairs occasionally.
- Ability to twist, turn, push, pull, finger, grasp, and reach down, forward and overhead repetitively; Stoop, squat, kneel, and crouch occasionally.
- Ability to operate a telephone and a computer.
- Ability to remain seated for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to use general cleaning supplies; Grasp, lift, push, pull and use cleaning equipment.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds occasionally.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB DUTIES:
- 4 years of college education in a related field, or 4 years of related work experience, or equivalent combination of work experience and education required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field highly preferred.
- Prior supervisory or management work experience required.
- One year of experience working with hospitality management systems required.