Forestry and Wildlife Intern
- 23734 US-1, McBee, SC 29101, USA
The Forest Stewards Guild is a national professional organization of forest stewards and natural resource professionals.
The Forest Stewards Guild seeks students or recent graduates to perform forestry tasks alongside U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service staff. Experiences will vary based on the season but likely include:
- Forest inventories, including GPS and GIS technology and the integrated application of forest management software.
- Collect ecological and timber-related forest metrics to develop timber-harvest prescriptions, including volumetric measures required for harvest accountability.
- Timber marking, harvest planning, monitoring and evaluation, and other tasks as assigned.
- Inter-program experience with biological and prescribed-fire programs (dependent on interest and training).
The 12-week position is a supervised work and learning experience based at the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge, McBee, South Carolina. Additional work occurs at the Pee Dee NWR near Wadesboro, NC.
Learn how forestry and wildlife management work together on our public lands. This is a great entry point into careers in forest management and species conservation.
Students or recent graduates with some experience in forestry and wildlife ecology and a strong desire to learn new skills.
Location: Carolina Sandhills NWR, McBee, South Carolina.
Application deadline: March 3, 2021
Stipend: $290 per week, free on-site housing, $250 travel allowance.
Anticipated start date: May 17, 2021
Interested applicants should click “I’m Interested” to submit a current resume, one-page cover letter expressing your interest in the position, and three references no later than March 3, 2021. Note: An opportunity to upload the cover letter and reference documents will be available after clicking “Next” on the initial application page.
Questions can be directed to Michael Lynch at 608 449-0647 or mike (at) forestguild.org.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.