- 2300 Lapeer Rd, Flint, MI 48503, USA
The Food Bank of Eastern Michigan serves as a common solicitor, storehouse and distributor of food on behalf of its Partner Agencies which are non-profit, charitable organizations serving those in need.
Today the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan provides over 25 million pounds of food each year to those in need through more than 415 partner agencies. Partner Agencies consist of local soup kitchens, shelters, and food pantries who strive to feed the more than 300,000 people in eastern Michigan who are food insecure. The excellent relationships established within the Food Bank’s 22 county service area and throughout the state has allowed for numerous programs and initiatives to help fight hunger.
The Warehouse Associate is responsible for performing a variety of manual tasks associated with the acquisition, storage, distribution and safe handling of food products including sorting, packing orders, unloading deliveries, re-packing food products, operating warehouse equipment and general maintenance and cleanup along with the ability to understand and comply with Feeding America & AIB/ Safe food Handling Practices & procedures.
• High School Diploma or GED preferred
• Minimum one (1) year experience working in a warehouse and/or product distribution center operation as a general warehouse worker and/or driver preferred
• Valid MI Driver's License
• Experience in operating hand and electric pallet jacks and forklifts preferred
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Ability to read and write English and perform basic mathematical functions
• Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50lbs Ability to speak clearly over the phone and walkie-talkie radio.
• Strong problem solving skills and ability to manage multiple projects with attention to detail, handle interruptions, maintain focus on tasks and produce accurate work.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Work is performed in warehouse with a significant amount of walking on concrete surfaces. Entrances may be open and work conditions during the summer months can be very hot, and during the winter very cold. Employees may be going in and out of freezers and coolers with extreme variations in temperature. Workspace could be very dusty, and on occasions can be noisy due to the traffic of motorized vehicles operated in the building. Periodically may work outside and be exposed to the elements. Employees may be exposed to spoiled food and sharp objects due to working with damaged product. Work involves moving boxes and employee must lift, bend, stoop, pick up and move objects up to 75 pounds. Work involves using manual pallet jacks and therefore requires an ability to push and pull pallets over 2,000 pounds. May be asked to work evenings and weekends due to special events and other projects related to timely and accurate warehousing and distribution of product. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.