VP, Global Product Strategy & Commercial Development
- South San Francisco, CA, USA
Five Prime is a clinical stage biotechnology company relentlessly focused on rewriting the narrative for people with cancer. By tackling the tough scientific questions and untapped pathways, we aim to offer new hope by developing novel, breakthrough therapies that have potential to alter the course of disease in cancers with few treatment options. This vision is what defines us, and guides our research, clinical development and partnerships. To build a better tomorrow for people with cancer, we are teaming up with patients, physicians, scientists, and industry partners to make a meaningful difference in patients’ lives. Five Prime collaborates with leading global pharmaceutical companies and has therapies in pre-clinical and clinical development. For more information, please visit www.fiveprime.com.
At Five Prime, we are relentlessly focused on rewriting the narrative for people with cancer. We tackle the tough scientific challenges with optimism and courage. Rather than pursue the well-trodden path, we explore untapped pathways that have potential to deliver truly novel, breakthrough treatments for cancers with few options.
Together with patients, physicians, scientists, and industry partners we start each day looking for ways to advance science and use our expertise to develop cancer treatments that provide a fresh start and renewed hope for people facing the challenges of cancer.
We do things in a way that truly matters for patients. We embrace this spirit with pride; with action over words. We bring boldness, passion and commitment to each decision in the fight against cancer, however big or small. We are committed to transforming a cancer diagnosis from a foregone conclusion to a more hopeful future. Let’s rewrite the cancer story. Together.
Five Prime Therapeutics is a clinical-stage oncology company working to develop immune modulators and precision therapies for solid tumor cancers. The Vice President, Global Product Strategy & Commercial Development, through collaboration with all key functions, will drive the global commercial strategy and implementation for the Five Prime product portfolio.
This position is responsible for developing the overall product/portfolio vision, strategy and implementation plan including life cycle management, resource optimization and product launch strategy in the US and potential global markets. This individual will also be responsible for representing the commercial organization and providing cross-functional leadership by actively partnering with Clinical Development, Research, Medical Affairs, Finance, Manufacturing, Corporate Communications and Business Development, to develop and implement an integrated global product strategy.
The position will lead commercial planning efforts and contribute to building the key components of a commercial organization as Five Prime nears commercialization (sales, marketing, analytics, pricing & distribution, market access, government affairs, patient advocacy and other capabilities), to prepare the market and company for a successful launch and subsequent growth. This individual will be an active member of Five Prime’s senior leadership team to shape all aspects of commercial and business strategy, and commercial planning and operations as well as to help shape the organization’s culture and values.
- Build a diverse multifunctional life cycle and early commercial team providing strategic leadership across research, development, manufacturing and commercial/marketing activities
- Develop a unified product portfolio vision and strategy based on target product profiles, key claims and market insights for the portfolio and lead program
- Mobilize the organization to maximize the value of the Five Prime portfolio over the entire lifecycle by developing and implementing strategic life cycle, product development and launch plans for each product that meet patient and customer needs
- Conduct targeted market and competitive research in collaboration with the team to develop and establish product positioning, messaging, revenue forecast and NPV valuations, pricing, distribution and reimbursement
- Lead forecasts and budgeting efforts to optimize P&L across the portfolio and programs
- Develop a deep understanding of all key stakeholders and build meaningful relationships with key external partners, including thought leaders, regional/national partners, distributors, patient advocacy groups, professional societies and agencies to prepare for a successful launch and subsequent growth
- Partner across functions to architect the optimal commercial strategy, launch plan, resources and subsequent growth plan for Five Prime, designing and overseeing all pre-launch commercial operations and resources and contribute to post-launch commercial success.
- Collaborate with BD and other executive members to optimize portfolio assets and evaluate Five Prime’s approach in other key growth markets outside of the US
- Recruit, hire and develop diverse life cycle and early commercial teams; contribute and shape the company’s culture and values to drive impact for patients, customers and Five Prime
Background & Experience
- Graduate or Post-Graduate Degree is preferred
- 15+ years of experience in the biotechnology or biopharmaceutical industry with at least 10+ years of experience in oncology/hematology commercialization
- Experienced leader with proven results in people leadership and talent development
- A proven track record of successfully launching therapeutics, preferably in oncology, and strategic planning, marketing, commercial practices, market development and new product planning, portfolio management and lifecycle management
- Deep understanding of biopharma drug development, regulation and commercialization
- Proven experience as a successful and decisive leader in strategic, multifunctional environments
- Ability to manage complex projects with ambitious milestones in high pressure circumstances, including working on projects that required activity/milestone achievement to ‘file’ the compound and/or prepare/launch the product
- For a pre-BLA project, experience with pivotal trial design, BLA filing and approval is strongly preferred
- Ability to build and lead cross functional teams to deliver superior results by trusting, challenging and empowering resilient, high impact teams
- Hands-on approach having a sense of urgency and mature judgment
- Ability to align business and personal actions with the company’s values
- Clearly articulates complex concepts and mobilizes the organization around a vision for the future
- Strategic ability to successfully develop and maximize portfolio value and prepare the market for the introduction and launch of oncology therapeutics
- Provides clarity and focus on key priorities
- Acts from a whole system perspective, keeping an enterprise view and understands the big picture of how the organization’s mission fits in the marketplace
- Strong collaborator across geographical, cultural, and functional boundaries fostering an inclusive and diverse culture
- In high-tension situations, seeks common ground, remains composed and centered, and maintains focused perspective with ability to make decisions in a timely manner
- A disciplined risk-taker comfortable working in an entrepreneurial environment
- Develops people through constructive feedback and encouragement and understands what motivates other people to perform at their best
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.
Five Prime acknowledges that providers may be a valuable resource for identifying and recruiting candidates for employment. However, we require that all recruiters engage directly with Five Prime’s Talent Acquisition Team and comply with Five Prime’s requirements prior to transmitting any resumes/CVs or introducing any candidates to Five Prime. Five Prime’s Talent Acquisition Team is the only function within the Company that can enter into contractual relationships with external recruiters and recruiting agencies. As such, all unsolicited resumes, CVs, anonymous profiles, or candidate information you may submit to employees of Five Prime will become property of Five Prime and Five Prime will have no obligation to pay you or anyone else for the use of such information, including any finder’s, placement, introduction or placement fee.