Vice President, Immuno-Oncology Research
- 111 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a publicly traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to improve the lives of patients with serious diseases. We have an industry-leading and differentiated drug discovery platform. Our comprehensive proprietary libraries of the extracellular proteome, differentiated screening capabilities and protein therapeutic generation and engineering capabilities comprise a unique and powerful IND engine that will continue to generate important development programs. This uniquely positions us to discover novel pathways and targets in immuno-oncology. Our success with our drug discovery platform has led to a pipeline that is on track to more than double to five development programs in clinical trials across multiple indications in 2018. We also have several undisclosed research programs at different points of the target validation and molecule generation phases that have the potential to yield our next wave of development-stage therapeutic biologics. And we continue to fuel this process at the earliest stages with new screens planned this year.
Five Prime is committed to innovation and outstanding science to develop effective new drugs for the treatment of severe diseases. We value our culture of openness, collaboration and productivity. The company is in a strong financial position and has an effective executive team and Board of Directors. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
Five Prime is seeking a Vice President of Immuno-Oncology research who will work closely with the Chief Scientific Officer and the management team to provide scientific leadership and help progress breakthrough assets from discovery to the clinic. Ideally, the candidate will have had significant experience and accomplishments in both academia and in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry and will be an expert in the areas of immunology, oncology, and biologics. He/she must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with highly developed leadership and team-building skills. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned executive with an outstanding record of accomplishment in immune-oncology research and all aspects of drug discovery. A thorough understanding of the requirements and processes needed in drug development, in particular biologics, from target identification to IND-enabling studies is essential. The VP of Immuno-Oncology (IO) will be responsible for overseeing and growing the IO research organization into a highly competitive and innovative organization among its peers in the biotech and pharma industry.
- Provide scientific vision and leadership to advance Five Prime’s platforms and future product portfolio. Deliver high quality lead candidates for clinical development.
- Lead and grow the IO research organization to execute the discovery and development of new therapeutic drug candidates.
- Provide strategic input for Research’s mid- and long-term goals.
- Partnering with senior management and the company’s Executive Team to help establish company’s strategic Discovery Research roadmap and to provide exemplary scientific input into company’s research and development programs.
- Provide other members of the senior management team with continuous scientific input in the areas of business development, clinical development and commercialization, regulatory matters, manufacturing, funding processes and initiatives.
- Very close collaboration and partnership with the Clinical and Development Sciences functions to drive pre-clinical and clinical strategic objectives and pipeline.
- Active member of the Research Steering Committee (RSC).
- Recruit, motivate, retain, and develop a world class, highly innovative immuno-oncology research organization.
- Establish a culture that promotes creativity, open communication, collaboration, collegiality, and a high sense of urgency. Maintain the highest standards of scientific rigor.
- Actively engage with Five Prime’s leaders and advisors. Build and maintain exceptional working relationships with them and with key opinion leaders and lead principal investigators as portfolio advances.
- Maintain deep understanding of therapeutic areas of interest, including work by competitors and research developments in relevant technology and therapeutic areas through broad and active engagement and leadership in the scientific community.
- Actively lead and support the establishment and execution of external alliances with industry partners, with relevant non-profit organizations, and with academic groups to enhance and expedite the development of the company’s discovery programs and platform.
- Represent Five Prime’s technology and future portfolio both internally and externally to scientific, regulatory, and business communities, including key opinion leaders, academics, clinicians, non-profit groups, regulatory authorities, potential partners, and potential investors.
- Participate in the creation of a robust and industry-leading intellectual property portfolio.
The successful candidate for the position of VP of Immuno-Oncology must have a demonstrated record of accomplishments in drug discovery and development within the life sciences industry. A successful track record of developing and delivering therapeutic candidates – “from bench to the clinic“– is essential. A minimum of 15 years industry experience in leading multidisciplinary teams and portfolios is required. The ideal candidate will have had senior level scientific/technical responsibility with substantial experience in the successful discovery and development of biologic therapeutics in the areas of immunology and oncology.
This VP of Immuno-Oncology will have a thorough understanding of all the requirements and processes needed in drug development from target discovery to clinical development. He/she must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with highly developed leadership and team building skills. A solid understanding of the industry’s complex regulatory requirements to develop therapeutics and an absolute commitment to competing at the highest ethical level are essential.
Key Requirements Include:
- Expert scientific knowledge and experience in the areas of immunology and oncology is required. Knowledge of other therapeutic areas such as inflammation and auto-immunity is highly preferred.
- Scientific excellence, to include at least 15 years of experience in research and development preferably in pharma and/or biotechnology companies
- Strong functional leadership and prior management experience leading a team of senior Scientists within discovery organization
- Significant familiarity with validation of drug targets and the exploratory drug development process. Proven biopharmaceutical industry experience developing and leading innovative therapeutic programs and advancing complex technologies.
- Experience with various biologics platforms is ideal. This includes, but is not limited to canonical and engineered antibodies, bi-specific antibodies, engineered Fc-ECD fusion proteins, and other biologic scaffolds.
- Strong publication record in peer reviewed journals across therapeutic areas and patent record.
- Experience navigating intellectual property / patents.
- Overall business understanding including experience working with Business Development and licensing contracts.
- Creative, collaborative, proactive and confident individual with proven leadership performance.
- Strategic thinking, have a vision for defining the end-goal, be able to effectively communicate the goal, and ability to adapt the goals based on changed circumstances and business objectives.
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.Please call or reply with any comments.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.