Vice President, Strategic Marketing
- 111 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a publicly traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to improve the lives of patients with serious diseases. We have an industry-leading and differentiated drug discovery platform. Our comprehensive proprietary libraries of the extracellular proteome, differentiated screening capabilities and protein therapeutic generation and engineering capabilities comprise a unique and powerful IND engine that positions us to discover novel pathways and targets in immuno-oncology and will continue to generate important development programs. Our success with our drug discovery platform has led to a pipeline that is on track to more than double to five development programs in clinical trials across multiple indications in 2018. We also have several undisclosed research programs at different points of the target validation and molecule generation phases that have the potential to yield our next wave of development-stage therapeutic biologics. And we continue to fuel this process at the earliest stages with new screens planned this year.
Five Prime is committed to innovation and outstanding science to develop effective new drugs for the treatment of severe diseases. We value our culture of openness, collaboration and productivity.
The company is in a strong financial position and has an effective executive team and Board of Directors. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com
The VP, Strategic Marketing will report to the CEO and will be a key member of the core project teams that are responsible for the clinical development and commercialization of Five Prime products. The role will drive key business decisions by providing data-driven, strategic input to shape the commercial strategy of clinical and pre-clinical stage candidates. The role will also be responsible for leading commercial assessments and life cycle planning, as well as participating in portfolio prioritization for Five Prime programs. The VP, Strategic Marketing currently has one direct report and will be a key player in designing and executing the company’s commercial function.
The position will collaborate closely with cross-functional leaders, including Research, Project Management, Clinical Development, Clinical Operations, Regulatory and Business Development. Key responsibilities will include providing strategic guidance, forecasts, market research and commercial assessments for clinical stage, pipeline and external opportunities. Success will require the individual to have relevant oncology experience and develop strong cross-functional relationships to effectively influence decision-making across the organization.
Key responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Develop commercial strategy for clinical and pre-clinical programs
- Provide global commercial leadership, input and strategic guidance on cross-functional project teams to drive key business decisions
- Develop commercial assessments and forecasts, provide commercial input on disease/indication and clinical trial design/endpoint selection, and communicate commercial implications of scientific/clinical data generation
- Develop target product profiles, identify potential upside/downside scenarios, and assess probability of technical success for clinical stage programs
- Lead lifecycle management and participate in portfolio prioritization activities for clinical and pre-clinical programs
- Conduct KOL mapping, advisory boards and other activities related to early stage clinical and market development to help shape strategy
- Develop commercial insights on competitive landscape, payer/reimbursement requirements, unmet medical needs, evolving market dynamics, and macro-economic trends
- Lead market research and share strategic insights with cross-functional teams to help shape business and clinical development decisions
- Understand and communicate global requirements for registration, reimbursement and differentiation to ensure the successful commercialization of new products
- Develop and maintain strong and collaborative relationships with cross-functional colleagues (e.g., Research, Clinical Development, Clinical Operations, Regulatory, Business Development)
- Build strong partnerships with external partners and influence commercial strategy for partnered assets (e.g., BMS for cabiralizumab)
- Develop and prepare key presentations for senior management and the Board of Directors, as needed
- Willingness to manage tactical projects in addition to taking a leadership and strategic role
- Bachelor degree in business or scientific field, MBA preferred
- 15+ years of experience in the biopharma/pharmaceutical industry in a combination of strategic marketing, pipeline marketing, new product planning, launch planning, portfolio planning, and/or market research/analytics
- 10+ years of experience with marketing and pre-approval planning of oncology drugs is required, preferably biologics
- Experience designing and building out a functional commercial organization to support product launch
- Product/indication launch experience required
- Global and/or international experience preferred
- Strategic thinker, self-starter, and individual contributor capable of working in fast paced biotech environment
- Highly skilled in influencing cross-functional teams, including interfacing with key internal and external stakeholders and with scientific and commercial teams
- Strong understanding of scientific data and issues, particularly in oncology, as they impact product development and commercialization through a solid understanding of the drug development process from pre-clinical through launch
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including ability to synthesize data and deliver a clear overview of commercial strategy, opportunity and risks for the Executive Team
- Ability to articulate a vision and strategy in a way that inspires and motivates teams and focuses their energy on achieving business goals
- Able to engage in work-related travel approximately 20% of the time
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.