- 111 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a publicly traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to improve the lives of patients with serious diseases.
We have an industry-leading and differentiated drug discovery platform. Our comprehensive proprietary libraries of the extracellular proteome, differentiated screening capabilities and protein therapeutic generation and engineering capabilities comprise a unique and powerful IND engine that will continue to generate important development programs. This uniquely positions us to discover novel pathways and targets in immuno-oncology.
Our success with our drug discovery platform has led to a pipeline that is on track to more than double to five development programs in clinical trials across multiple indications in 2018. We also have several undisclosed research programs at different points of the target validation and molecule generation phases that have the potential to yield our next wave of development-stage therapeutic biologics. And we continue to fuel this process at the earliest stages with new screens planned this year.
FivePrime is committed to innovation and outstanding science, values that are reflected in our people and our products. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
This position is responsible for all aspects of the operation and management of a rodent vivarium, including vivarium facility operations, husbandry supervision, and monitoring of all additional vivarium staff to ensure compliance with all company policies. In addition, the position will include participation on the IACUC and will be responsible for managing communication, training, policy enforcement, and documentation between the IACUC and users of the vivarium. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Toxicology and chair of the IACUC within the Development Sciences organization. Responsibilties include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage all core operational activities of the vivarium.
- Manage husbandry staff to ensure daily care of animals in an ethical, safe, and sanitary manner using appropriate equipment and in compliance with IACUC regulations and standards and all company policies.
- Monitor environmental conditions (temperature, light cycle, noise levels, air flow, etc.) and document on a daily basis.
- Hire, train, coach, and motivate staff as needed.
- Responsible for financial management of the vivarium budget and budget forecasts
- Responsible for procurement of vivarium-related expenditures including:
- Purchasing and receiving of rodents from outside vendors.
- Purchasing of all animal related, cages, feed, water, etc.
- Develop and maintain records of animals purchased in accordance with IACUC protocols
- Orient and train animal care staff, scientists, facilities personnel, contractors, and others accessing the facility on regulations, procedures, and safety/equipment operation.
- Monitor and coordinate effective strain-specific breeding programs, when necessary, and in compliance with IACUC policies
- Manage the training, and documentation of training records, for all vivarium staff in coordination with the attending veterinarian or other IACUC-appointed representative.
- Work closely with the pharmacology, biotherapeutics, and research departments and other vivarium staff to develop the best practices and techniques to support projects and corporate goals.
- Serve as a resource to animal users by providing technical expertise, trouble-shooting, problem solving, and assistance with optimizing in vivo procedures. Provide assistance to animal users as needed.
- Update and implement vivarium procedures, guidelines, and policies related to the animal care program.
- Participate as a member of the IACUC and facilitate communication between the IACUC and users of the vivarium. This will include implementing the animal care husbandry policies, animal health monitoring program, sanitation program, and sentinel program, in accordance with the IACUC as mandated by federal, state, local, and company policy.
- Independently interact with other departments (facilities, EH&S, purchasing, etc.) to integrate and develop necessary programs and policies.
- Act as a corporate resource representing the department, interacting with other company groups and external organizations (biotechs, major pharma, CROs, vendors, AAALAC, AALAS, etc.)
- Responsible for overseeing monitoring and compliance of all studies as per IACUC guidelines and approved protocols.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years husbandry experience working with rodents. Experience working with both normal and immuno-deficient rodents, especially mice, but also highly proficient with rats.
- 8 years’ experience managing staff, including performance management, training, coaching, and developing proficient operational plans to integrate cross functional teams.
- AALAS certification at the RLATG level. ILAM graduate preferred.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state regulations and guidelines pertaining to laboratory animals. Compliance experience working with regulatory and professional agencies (PHS, OLAW, FDA, DEA, AALAS, AAALAC, etc).
- Experience with multiple oncology models is required.
- Knowledge of animal physiology/anatomy, recognition of normal/abnormal behavior, clinical problems, animal welfare issues, and common in vivo procedures.
- Ability to implement changes to department processes/procedures, foster team development, and build strong partnerships across departments.
- Experience as a member or chair of an IACUC committee is highly desired.
- Experience with development of an AAALAC-approved Animal Care and Use Program and AAALAC certification requirements is a plus.
- Ability to work diplomatically with a wide range of people and exercise discretion, tact, courtesy, and patience.
- Must possess good judgment, pragmatic decision making, and problem-solving skills and be professional, self-motivated, and responsible.
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.Please call or reply with any comments.
Five Prime acknowledges that providers may be a valuable resource for identifying and recruiting candidates for employment. However, we require that all recruiters engage directly with Five Prime’s Talent Acquisition Team and comply with Five Prime’s requirements prior to transmitting any resumes/CVs or introducing any candidates to Five Prime. Five Prime’s Talent Acquisition Team is the only function within the Company that can enter into contractual relationships with external recruiters and recruiting agencies. As such, all unsolicited resumes, CVs, anonymous profiles, or candidate information you may submit to employees of Five Prime will become property of Five Prime and Five Prime will have no obligation to pay you or anyone else for the use of such information, including any finder’s, placement, introduction or placement fee.