Scientist III, Translational Pathology (Immunopathology & Image Analysis)
- 111 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a publicly traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to improve the lives of patients with serious diseases. We have an industry-leading and differentiated drug discovery platform. Our comprehensive proprietary libraries of the extracellular proteome, differentiated screening capabilities and protein therapeutic generation and engineering capabilities comprise a unique and powerful IND engine that will continue to generate important development programs. This uniquely positions us to discover novel pathways and targets in immuno-oncology. Our success with our drug discovery platform has led to a pipeline that is on track to more than double to five development programs in clinical trials across multiple indications in 2018. We also have several undisclosed research programs at different points of the target validation and molecule generation phases that have the potential to yield our next wave of development-stage therapeutic biologics. And we continue to fuel this process at the earliest stages with new screens planned this year.
Five Prime is committed to innovation and outstanding science to develop effective new drugs for the treatment of severe diseases. We value our culture of openness, collaboration and productivity. The company is in a strong financial position and has an effective executive team and Board of Directors. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
This is a unique opportunity for a highly-motivated scientist to join the Translational Pathology group to design and implement strategic experiments, and analyze data to support ongoing translational science and biomarker efforts in clinical and non-clinical programs at FivePrime. The ideal candidate will play an important role by designing and applying state of the art tissue based technologies to analyze both animal model and human specimens. This work will support target validation, translation of novel targets to the clinic, and discovery and application of biomarkers to support patient selection, patient safety, and PD in clinical trials. This individual will closely work with project teams from research to early development to help translate novel targets into clinical reality.
Specifically, the successful candidate will be responsible for designing and performing multiplexed immunohistochemistry (IHC) & immunofluorescence (IF) panels, in situ hybridization (ISH) assays, and potentially other tissue based molecular pathology approaches such as DNA/RNA profiling. This work will be applied to collaboratively validate new targets, support mechanism of action and pharmacodynamics of new therapeutics, help select clinical indications and elucidate target prevalence within these indications, determine the immune environment within selected tumors, and discover/select biomarkers that can be translated from in vivo models to the clinic.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design, implement and analyze multiplex quantitative tissue based pathology assays to address key translational questions about our therapeutic candidates.
- Design experiments to identify stratification, safety, and PD biomarkers that can be used in both animal models and the clinic.
- Develop and implement hypothesis driven tissue-based biomarker & translational strategies to support drug development efforts from concept to validation.
- Develop, validate, & perform tissue-based fit-for-purpose assays: routine manual and automated IHC, IF and ISH, and other molecular pathology techniques as needed.
- Perform other supportive functions such as tissue processing & sectioning, pathology slide digitization, and construction of tissue microarrays.
- Contribute to initial evaluation of tissue & TMA results; perform image analysis/data analysis in collaboration with pathologist to answer translational questions.
- Provide comprehensive decision-enabling reports as needed.
- Participate in meetings, discuss and provide feedback to project teams.
- Standardize workflow and reports.
- Will learn and help implement new technologies as needed
- Other projects when assigned.
- PhD required, with strong background in pathology, immunology, or oncology. Minimum of 6 years of direct experience in developing tissue-based biomarkers. Scientific experience within immuno-oncology field desirable.
- Demonstrable expertise in all aspects of both standard and multi-plex immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization essential, including experience in both fluorescence and chromogenic protocols. Some knowledge of GCLP/CLIA validation of such assays is highly desirable.
- Experience with developing multiplexed tissue-based assay to profile tumor microenvironments is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable experience in development of predictive or pharmacodynamics biomarkers is required such as taking a hypothesis-driven biomarker assay from concept to validation.
- Experience with quantitative image analysis is required.
- Experience in applying DNA/RNA profiling techniques in formalin-fixed tissue is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency and scientific creativity.
- Analytical, critical thinking and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent presentation skill to articulate key messages and findings. Must be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment with rapidly change priorities.
- Excellent scientific written and interpersonal communication skills, ability to influence and collaborate in small group and cross-functional team environment A strong track record as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals is essential.
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.Please call or reply with any comments.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.