Summer Intern - Clinical Biomarker & Companion Diagnostics
- 111 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a publicly traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to improve the lives of patients with serious diseases. We have an industry-leading and differentiated drug discovery platform. Our comprehensive proprietary libraries of the extracellular proteome, differentiated screening capabilities and protein therapeutic generation and engineering capabilities comprise a unique and powerful IND engine that will continue to generate important development programs. This uniquely positions us to discover novel pathways and targets in immuno-oncology. Our success with our drug discovery platform has led to a pipeline that is on track to more than double to five development programs in clinical trials across multiple indications in 2018. We also have several undisclosed research programs at different points of the target validation and molecule generation phases that have the potential to yield our next wave of development-stage therapeutic biologics. And we continue to fuel this process at the earliest stages with new screens planned this year.
Five Prime is committed to innovation and outstanding science to develop effective new drugs for the treatment of severe diseases. We value our culture of openness, collaboration and productivity. The company is in a strong financial position and has an effective executive team and Board of Directors. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
The Clinical Biomarker & Companion Diagnostics (CBCDx) Summer Intern will work cross functionally with the Systems Engineering and Research departments to build and monitor the Five Prime sample biobank. The intern’s core responsibilities will include initiating and overseeing incoming and outgoing biological sample shipments, accessioning and processing biological samples, uploading and linking data, tracking and storing biological samples and distributing biological samples to internal stakeholders and external suppliers. They will also generate histological data through processing of tissue samples, sectioning samples, and performing routine histological stains. The chosen candidate will acquire significant experience in a fast-paced working environment focused on histo-pathology and bio-sample tracking and data management.
Essential Functions and Duties
- Perform biological sample acquisition, accessioning, processing, shipment, tracking and distribution activities (includes samples acquired from external suppliers and those collected under clinical trials)
- Generate histological data through processing of tissue samples, sectioning of frozen or paraffin embedded samples, and performing routine histological stains
- Record tissue staining with whole slide imaging system, including managing images and image data in image management system
- Maintain inventory of biological samples and associated data in a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Assist in handling specimen requests, evaluate available inventory and assign usage
- Work with the Systems Engineering and CBCDx groups to test and improve the Laboratory Information Management System LIMS
- Follow GCP and GLPs to perform assigned lab and sample management tasks
- Major in microbiology, immunology, cell biology, histotechnology or any other biological science
- Strong computer (word-processing, databases, Excel, Windows) skills
- Basic skills in laboratory procedures for handling biological samples
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and organizational skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.Please call or reply with any comments.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.