Scientist I, Molecular Biology
- 111 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a publicly traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to improve the lives of patients with serious diseases.
We have an industry-leading and differentiated drug discovery platform. Our comprehensive proprietary libraries of the extracellular proteome, differentiated screening capabilities and protein therapeutic generation and engineering capabilities comprise a unique and powerful IND engine that positions us to discover novel pathways and targets in immuno-oncology and will continue to generate important development programs.
Our success with our drug discovery platform has led to a pipeline that is on track to more than double to five development programs in clinical trials across multiple indications in 2018. We also have several undisclosed research programs at different points of the target validation and molecule generation phases that have the potential to yield our next wave of development-stage therapeutic biologics. And we continue to fuel this process at the earliest stages with new screens planned this year.
Five Prime is committed to innovation and outstanding science to develop effective new drugs for the treatment of severe diseases. We value our culture of openness, collaboration and productivity.
The company is in a strong financial position and has an effective executive team and Board of Directors. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com
Five Prime is seeking a Scientist to join the Molecular Biology team within the Biotherapeutic Department. The successful candidate needs to have extensive hands-on experience in molecular biology. Additional expertise in cell biology is desired, with experience with protein expression highly valued. This position reports to Senior Scientist, Molecular Biology.
- Represent molecular biology function in research project teams, and lead molecular biology activities to advance projects from discovery to preclinical stages.
- Provide support to research programs by designing, constructing and delivering molecular constructs for expression of proteins and/or nucleic acids.
- Lead technical development activities, and implement modern synthetic biology approaches to improve cloning efficiency.
- Design and generate construct libraries for screening.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to optimize the database system for constructs inventory.
- Provide expertise and support across Biotherapeutics groups to implement efficient workflows for stable and/or transient expression of recombinant proteins.
- Engineer cell lines with traditional and modern genome editing approaches.
- Other projects/ duties as needed.
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology or related field with 2+ years of experience.
- Fluency and extensive hands-on experience molecular engineering, using traditional cloning and/or modern synthetic biology techniques.
- Substantial in-depth knowledge of the relationship between molecular constructs and protein expression, especially for mammalian systems. Experience in optimizing constructs to improve protein expression level is a plus.
- Hands-on experience in gene knock-out/knock-in using CRISPR technology is strongly preferred.
- Expertise in transient protein expression as well as stable cell line generation is strongly preferred.
- Experience with NGS is a plus.
- Good understanding of key elements of downstream processes (e.g. protein purification, cell based assay) is a plus.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced dynamic environment while delivering high quality work under timelines.
- Exceptional organizing skills and up-to-date record keeping capabilities.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with a highly interdisciplinary team. Ability to interpret and effectively communicate complex scientific findings in one-on-one discussions, and department and functional meetings.
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.