- Fire Hose Games, Medford, MA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Fire Hose Games is the Boston-based (but currently fully-remote) independent game development studio behind titles such as Go Home Dinosaurs, Catlateral Damage, and 20XX. We pay good salaries and our generous benefits package includes health care, dental, unlimited vacation/sick time, 401(k) with matching, excellent maternity/paternity leave, flexible work hours, and relocation reimbursement. Fire Hose hasn’t crunched in years and we don’t intend to start. Our company culture is inclusive, supportive, and fun. We strongly encourage applicants with diverse backgrounds and voices to apply, and consider relevant experience in all its forms. We hope to hear from you!
For more info, visit http://www.firehosegames.com/jobs/
Fire Hose Games is looking for an experienced Graphics Engineer to join the team on our latest game. This is a console + PC release featuring new and unannounced IP, and the ideal candidate will be familiar with (and excited about) factory/automation games.
As our Graphics Engineer you’ll be responsible for programming VFX, optimizing the visuals of the game, and managing the graphics performance budget for a Unity-based game. You’ll work closely with artists, designers, and other engineers to implement the artistic vision of the game while maintaining performance. You will evaluate potential middleware, implement new shaders, design and optimize systems to reduce batch calls, and help create tools and pipelines so that the content which our artists and designers create fits within your graphics performance budget.
Our team is currently remote, so great communication is a must. Successful candidates must be able to work fully in sync with a team based in the U.S. Eastern time zone. Preference may be given to candidates in the greater Boston area, or who are willing to relocate.
If you’re excited about helping us deliver our most ambitious project yet, then we’re eager to hear from you!
- Implement and optimize custom shaders for in-game content to run on PC and consoles
- Optimize in-game tech, leverage middleware, and develop systems to render thousands of player-placed simulated machines on screen and minimize batch calls
- Manage the graphics performance budget and help create guidelines for content, including materials, shaders, post-processing, models, lighting, and animations
- Build and update tools to help artists and designers with the content pipeline, including generating automatic LODs
- Collaborate with artists and designers on VFX and rendering solutions that further our game's artistic and design vision while maintaining game performance
- Assist with programming of non-graphics related features or optimizations as needed
- Mentor other developers in performant rendering in every phase of project development
- 3+ years of experience with programming for commercial video games, including at least one shipped title
- Experience researching, developing and optimizing rendering techniques and systems for AAA PC and console games
- Experience developing systems where concurrency, memory, and performance are important
- Deep experience with Unity, C#, and HLSL
- An expert understanding of the 3-D rendering pipeline
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working closely with other disciplines, and shepherding/refining good ideas regardless of where they originate
- Experience with general gameplay engineering, beyond specialized graphics programming
- Experience with porting from PC and different consoles
- Familiarity with the following in Unity:
- Standard render pipeline
- Indirect GPU instancing
- Billboard imposters
- Mesh combination
- Deferred rendering
- Familiarity with marching cube voxel terrain
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.