Principal Security Researcher (Remote, USA)
- Reston, VA
- Employees can work remotely
Does finding new intrusions give you goosebumps? Do you like learning and sharing info about new attacks with your peers, your clients, and with the world? Are you hungry to track threat actors, curate threat data, work with a range of other teams, and most importantly, elevate the discovery of new and interesting things to FireEye and to the public?
Advanced Practices is finding net-new evil across all FireEye customers, and we’re looking for tenacious researchers who love the thrill of the hunt to join our team. As a Principal Security Researcher, you will be part of the Advanced Practices team focused on reverse-engineering adversary tradecraft and operationalizing what we learn for the highest echelon of subversive threats.
The best candidate will be driven to discover new intrusion activity and find creative ways to distil the voluminous threat data from our weak signals down to new and interesting findings for our clients. When we find new things, it is important to drive that knowledge into FireEye and, when possible, into the public through blogs and contributions into other notable forums such as public threat analysis frameworks. We encourage giving back to the security community and strongly support sharing of expertise. Our team members are encouraged to author whitepapers, develop free tools, and speak at conferences as well.
About Advanced Practices:
FireEye’s Advanced Practices team was created in 2015 to track and respond to the most difficult threats facing our clients and our own company. Our team of experts work together to track, correlate, attribute, and detect attacker activity using advanced analysis and deep research into adversary methods. Advanced Practices codifies and makes actionable the knowledge from thousands of Mandiant incident response cases, Managed Defense engagements, and all significant evil from over 6,000 global FireEye product clients.
Illumination. Advanced Practices shines light in the darkest corners to expose and amplify complex adversary activity. We search for the nearly imperceptible traces of attackers wherever we can find them, and we seek to surface their activity for action.
Front-line Visibility. Our team of 25+ talented security researchers and threat analysis professionals bring decades of experience investigating intrusions, analyzing malware, and dissecting digital artifacts to deliver front-line innovation in FireEye’s products and services.
Threat Discovery. Our goal is simple: to know the most about adversaries and make this knowledge actionable. Advanced Practices enables early discovery and analysis of adversary operations and their tradecraft so that our customers are protected.
It’s How that Works. Our team studies the world’s most impactful intrusions from the front-lines of FireEye Mandiant and Managed Defense to understand how apex attackers operate. Our focus on technical evidence and how our adversaries operate powers the engine that highlights who our adversaries are.
Surfacing the Unseen. We look for unique features and common adversary methods across all intrusions and malware so we can develop resilient monitoring, detection, and discovery of attacker activity. We set proactive traps and develop threat signals to capture real-time and historic adversary activity from important, evasive, and emerging threats.
Summary of the role:
- Lay the foundation: research, model, and integrate threat data
- Build the layers: search through telemetry to find new intrusions, malware and tradecraft
- Assemble the dish: notify our clients and affected organizations then close detection gaps
- Icing on the cake: push research findings from the team into blogs and other public formats when applicable
What You Will Do:
- Hunt for emerging threat activity across all available FireEye telemetry: discover net-new malware families, intrusion activity, and suspicious events associated with Advanced Practices and notify our customers
- Analyze technical threat data to extract TTPs, malware techniques and adversary methods with low (or no) detections, and help close those gaps within the FireEye platform
- Drive FireEye detections and technology through threat expertise and knowledge
- Provide threat context and integration support to multiple FireEye service lines
- Provide threat research and context to global service delivery for Mandiant investigations
- Perform threat research and analysis during high-severity cyber-attacks impacting FireEye customers globally
- 2 + years of experience in an analytical role of either network forensics, threat analyst, or security consultant/engineer
- 2 + years of experience in Investigative or Incident Response environments
- 2 + years of experience with direct delivery of technical information to clients or public in reports or presentations
- Technical experience in at least three of the following areas:
- Detection engineering with experience in pattern-matching languages (OpenIOC, Yara, Snort/Suricata, or similar signature framework)
- Windows disk and memory forensics
- Network Security Monitoring (NSM), network traffic analysis, and log analysis
- Unix or Linux disk and memory forensics
- Basic Static and dynamic malware analysis
- Applied knowledge in at least one scripting or development language (such as Python)
- Understanding of enterprise security controls in Active Directory / Windows environments
- Tracking threats in an intelligence function
- Strong analytical leadership skills with the ability to prioritize and execute
- Ability to set and manage expectations with senior stake-holders and team members
- Strong problem solving, troubleshooting, and analysis skills
- Experience working in fast-paced development environments
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Self-driven, proactive, hardworking, creative, team-player
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to present to technical and non-technical audiences
- Exceptional written communication skills
At FireEye we are committed to our #OneTeam approach combining diversity, collaboration, and excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
(Colorado applicants only*)
Minimum Salary: $116,000. Final salary will be determined commensurately with cost of living, experience level, and/or any other legally permissible considerations.
Incentive Compensation: Eligibility for annual bonus subject to individual and company performance; eligibility for award of Restricted Stock Units subject to eligibility requirements, approval from FireEye’s Compensation Committee, and vesting terms
Benefits: Employer subsidized benefits include Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and Disability Insurance. Subject to eligibility requirements, FireEye also offers the ability to participate in 401(k), Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Dependent Care Spending Accounts, and Employee Stock Purchase Program. FireEye also provides Paid Time Off, Flexible Paid Sick Time, and Paid Holidays.
*Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20)