Cyber Security Analyst Internships - Summer 2019
- Reston, VA, USA
FireEye is the leader in intelligence-led security-as-a-service. Working as a seamless, scalable extension of customer security operations, FireEye offers a single platform that blends innovative security technologies, nation-state grade threat intelligence, and world-renowned Mandiant® consulting. With this approach, FireEye eliminates the complexity and burden of cyber security for organizations struggling to prepare for, prevent, and respond to cyber attacks. FireEye has over 7,000 customers across 67 countries, including more than 45 percent of the Forbes Global 2000.
As an intern on the Managed Defense team, you will be the forefront of cyber defense for many of the worlds top companies. You will collaborate with other analysts to investigate security events, contextualize them with available intelligence, and identify potential threats within our customer base. You will transform event information and raw data into compromise reporting for our customers, acting to identify and halt active intrusions.
You will find yourself going head to head on a daily basis with interactive attackers, nation state actors, financially motivated criminals, and malware authors. You will be empowered with access to numerous resources, including entry-points into FireEye’s corpus of intelligence regarding attacker methodologies, missions, and infrastructure.
You will leverage your strong understanding of attacker methodologies to keep our customers and the real people they represent safe from compromise by discovering intrusions early, scoping them, and providing written technical recommendations for customers to contain, remediate, and prevent threats in the future.
Your attention to detail and dedication to security will help keep our customers safe from those who seek to take advantage of them.
NOTE: The IGNITE Intern Program is designed to help students gain hands-on experience through project-based internships. These projects are carefully reviewed internally and will be opened for applications once this process is completed.
In an effort to stay in touch, the University Recruiting team sends newsletters to all who express an interest in the program. These e-newsletters contain information about the company, the program, and our intern position openings.
We understand you are eager to get started and we would like to start getting to know you, as well. Please click “I'm Interested” to upload your resume and create a profile for us to view.
- Technical first point of contact for suspicious event review
- Perform live response data collection and analysis on hosts of interest in an investigation
- Collate and analyze relevant events from host and network device log files
- Perform incident response and basic malware analysis to investigate incidents
- Help determine the extent of the compromise, attributes of any malware, and possible data exfiltrated
- Maintain current knowledge of tools and best-practices in advanced persistent threats; tools, techniques, and procedures of attackers; and forensic and incident response
- All applicants must be currently pursuing a degree at an accredited institution
- The ability to document and explain technical details clearly and concisely
- Experience reviewing raw log files, data correlation, and analysis (I.e. firewall, network flow, IDS, system logs) is preferred
- Experience with well-known security tools such as NMAP, Nessus, TCPDump, Wireshark, and Netcat
- Understanding of Windows operating systems and command line tools
- A solid foundation in networking fundamentals, with a basic understanding of TCP/IP and other core protocols
- Knowledge of network-based services and client/server applications
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills
- A willingness to be challenged and a strong desire to learn
- An open mind, and an appetite for excellence
- Experience with and knowledge of packet flow, TCP/UDP traffic, Security Incident Event Monitoring (SIEM) Tools, IDS technologies (e.g. Snort rules), proxy technologies, antivirus solutions, and other enterprise security operations tools
Please Note: This position is intended for students to express their interest in our 2019 Cyber Security Analyst Intern Projects – this is not an open position.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.