Commercial Driver - Part Time
- 9455 Waples St, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Feeding San Diego comprises an ambitious team of individuals who believe that we can solve hunger in our community. We focus our daily work on the one in eight people facing hunger in San Diego County. Every day, we work hand-in-hand with partner agencies, local school districts, corporate partners, individual donors, and a network of volunteers to provide food and resources to our neighbors in need. At the same time, we protect the environment through the rescue of safe and wholesome food that would otherwise go to the landfill — simply because it is excess product, does not adhere to market standards or is approaching a best by or use by date. Together with our partners, Feeding San Diego provided over 26 million meals last year and served 63,000 children, families and seniors each week.
Feeding San Diego is dedicated to building a team that reflects the diverse county we serve, including those with varying backgrounds and life experiences. Applicants who strengthen our team through personal knowledge of poverty and food insecurity, as well as members of marginalized groups, are encouraged to apply.
Under the supervision of the Distribution Manager, the Commercial Driver performs tasks related to the distribution and pickup of product in support of Feeding San Diego’s (FSD) mission of ending hunger in the community. The main area of responsibility is to drive a truck to various locations throughout San Diego and Imperial Counties to deliver and pickup product. These tasks are to be completed while following all established safety procedures and standard operating procedures designed to ensure accurate and food-safe handling of product. This position may be required to perform other duties as assigned by the Distribution Manager in support of the mission of ending hunger in the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed. Evening and weekend work required as determined by operational needs.
- Deliver and pickup product throughout San Diego and Imperial Counties utilizing a commercial vehicle with a lift gate based on the daily truck schedule.
- Complete vehicle Inspection report before and after every driving session.
- Utilize an electric pallet jack to move pallets and totes of food based on need
- Utilize a fork lift to move pallets and totes of food based on need
- Use a floor scale to record weight of product based on delivery or receiving procedures
- Perform cleaning tasks within trucks and within a warehouse based on standard operating procedures.
- Maintain accurate and complete recordkeeping (i.e. temperature logs, donation receipts, mileage, maintenance logs, etc.), according to FSD requirements.
- Lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ensure first-class customer service with community partners, member agencies and volunteers.
- Ensure personal safety practices at all times with regard to vehicle and warehouse equipment.
This employee will work closely with donors, potential donors, clients in need, volunteers, agency representatives, FSD Board and staff, and others from the community.
- Commercial driver’s license (Class B with airbrakes required, Class A with airbrakes preferred)
- One year of driving experience
- Acceptable driving record
- Ability to pass a DOT required accident and drug/alcohol record check
- Skill to utilize basic computer functions (handheld mapping software, email, timecard).
- Experience in a nonprofit environment.
- Experience in food distribution programs including ServSafe certification, and warehouse procedures are highly desirable.
- Two years of commercial driving experience
- High School Diploma/GED
Any combination of educational and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Food storage, routing, and vehicle safety regulations; understand and follow oral and written instructions in English.
- Operate a commercial vehicle with a lift gate, electric pallet jack, manual pallet jack, fork lift, dolly, floor scale, and other standard warehouse equipment safely; walk, turn, pivot, stand and/or sit repeatedly; maintain balance, sit for prolonged periods of time; lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Exercise independent judgment and initiative within established guidelines without close supervision; prioritize and multi-task work; prepare and maintain a variety of records; establish and maintain effective relationships with employees, volunteers, partners, and clients.
Tools and Equipment Used
Commercial vehicle, cargo van, electric pallet jack, manual pallet jack, fork lift, dolly, floor scale, personal computer, cellular phone, multi-line phone.
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including continuous proof of a satisfactory driving record and personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Agency’s insurance carrier standards. ServSafe, electric pallet jack, and fork lift certification are required, and training will be provided.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.