DevOps Engineering Lead
- Reston, VA, USA
At Fannie Mae, futures are made. The inspiring work we do makes an affordable home a reality and a difference in the lives of Americans. Every day offers compelling opportunities to modernize the nation's housing finance system while being part of an inclusive team using new, emerging technologies. Here, you will help lead our industry forward, enhance your technical expertise, and make your career.
As a DevOps Engineering Lead on the Lender Technology Team you will be a driving force in setting the agenda for our DevOps transformation. You will be a visionary for automation, process improvements and engineering innovation and want to help create and promote a culture of learning and experimentation. You will apply your deep technical expertise and thought leadership to accelerate Fannie Mae’s Single Family transformation to DevOps and Cloud-Native practices. As part of this engineering practice, you will be specialized in helping our application team to drive efficiency and reliability into their entire development to operations lifecycle. You will strategize and implement best practices and solutions to build, deploy and operate our applications as they evolve into microservice based distributed systems. You will assess associated risks and vulnerability on software and tools, monitoring, infrastructure and release automation.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
The DevOps Engineering Lead role will offer you the flexibility to make each day your own, while working alongside people who care so that you can deliver on the following responsibilities:
- Lead cross-departmental process improvements and automation initiatives.
- Plan and execute DevOps project tasks and lead technical projects.
- Lead technical and design discussions to define and develop Fannie Mae’s NextGen DevOps platform and practices.
- Apply extensive knowledge of DevOps engineering principles and advanced techniques to manage the timely resolution of unprecedented issues.
- Coordinate with subject matter experts across the release lifecycle to obtain input and support for planned DevOps engineering activities.
- Serve as a thought leader for emerging DevOps industry trends and concepts
- Ensure the near-term alignment between IT operations and the business.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU BRING TO THE TEAM
Minimum Required Experiences
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 4+ years of experience in software development and DevOps engineering.
- 1+ year as a DevOps Lead
- Expertise in architecting modern web, microservices and cloud-native distributed systems based on containers, Kubernetes and AWS cloud.
- Experience with architecting and automating cloud-native technologies, deploying applications and provisioning infrastructure.
- Experience with leading and mentoring technical teams implementing DevOps platform to accelerate software delivery supporting techniques such as Trunk Based Development, Feature Toggles, Blue-Green Deployment, 12 Factors and others.
- Experience with architecting, designing and automating cloud-native CI/CD workflows and tools, using Jenkins, GitLab, or similar tools.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code, using CloudFormation, Terraform or similar tools.
- Experience with end-to-end software development lifecycle and delivery using Agile practices.
- Programming skills in multiple languages such as Python, Ruby, Go, Java or similar.
- Advanced understanding of Linux, networking and internet principles.
- Computer Science or engineering background.
- 6+ years of experience in software development and DevOps engineering
- Industry certification preferred in Cloud and Containers - AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform.
- Demonstrated success as a software developer, DevOps engineer or SRE engineer or application architect working on various platforms.
- Demonstrated success improving agility through various delivery and implementation methodologies.
- Experience designing, building, deploying and operating large scale enterprise applications using container and cloud technology.
- Experience in application and infrastructure monitoring and distributed systems operations using New Relic, Grafana, Prometheus, InfluxDB and others.
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible and similar.
- Experience helping an organization to plan and manage change in effort to meet strategic objectives.
- Working with people with different functional expertise respectfully and cooperatively to work toward a common goal.
- Skilled in presenting information and/or ideas to an audience in a way that is engaging and easy to understand.
- Industry certification is preferred.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Environment and Tools Experience:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Apache Maven
- Flyway database-migration tool
- Apache Groovy
- Puppet or Chef or Ansible
- RDBMS and NoSQL
The future is what you make it to be. Discover compelling opportunities at Fanniemae.com/careers.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, personal appearance, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the application process, email us at [email protected]