Vice President, Legal Operations
- Washington, DC, USA
At Fannie Mae, futures are made. The inspiring work we do makes an affordable home a reality and a difference in the lives of Americans. Every day offers compelling opportunities to impact the future of the housing industry while being part of an inclusive team thriving in an energizing environment. Here, you will help lead our industry forward and make your career.
The Vice President, Legal Operations is responsible for leading a high-performing team in support of the operational functions of the legal department. Reporting directly to EVP, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, this position will be responsible for the financial, operational, technical and operational risk functions of the legal department, including development and execution of technology and document management strategies, prudent management of internal resources and external counsel and the strategic development and implementation of key performance metrics. This leader will play an integral role in bringing process optimization and technology innovation as the legal department continues its journey to become best-in-class operationally.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
The Legal Operations - VP role will offer you the flexibility to make each day your own, while working alongside people who care so that you can deliver on the following responsibilities:
- Operational Planning: Accountable for development and management of a holistic view of the work being done in the organization. Leads organizational planning initiatives. Ensures effective departmental budget management, planning and tracking, expense analysis and forecasting, as well as approval and accruals.
- Technology, Metrics, and Reporting: Responsible for administration and support for the key legal department systems including: eBilling, Matter Management, eDiscovery, and Document management. Develops analytics and AI capabilities, technology strategy and roadmap in partnership with technology leadership|. Works with staff and operations to develop business process definitions and common metrics to measure the effectiveness of the organization, both internal and external, with goals of optimal workflow and communication.
- Business Partner Liaison: Works closely with communications and finance teams regarding organizational initiatives and planning. Partners with Human Resources on the job posting and recruiting processes with ownership of status updates, onboarding and off boarding plans, space planning, and workforce planning and optimization.
- Vendor Management Oversight: Responsible for the organization and monitoring of third-party support and spend. Manages internal and external third-party service providers with rigorous focus on performance indicators, service level expectations, regulatory compliance, risk management, and diversity and inclusion. Develops preferred counsel strategy and arrangements inclusive of pricing strategy and departmental technology solutions and related processes in partnership with internal and external parties.
- Strategic Planning: Facilitates the development and execution of both the business and operational strategies to support the legal department’s efficiency and effectiveness. Works closely with senior leadership team in the development of department goals, priorities, and strategic plans. Oversees teams that help ensure effective business controls management in the organization.
- Operational Risk Oversight: In conjunction with the Director of Operational Risk, oversees the first-line operational risk management and assessment activities of the Legal Department; works with Enterprise Operational Risk (2nd line risk) and other FLIB Risk Partners across the Fannie Mae enterprise.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU BRING TO THE TEAM
- At least 15 years of progressive, related experience; at least 5 years working in a leadership capacity.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as an in-house leader or consultant developing strategies and managing major initiatives and operational processes for large-scale, legal departments, focusing on driving efficiency and operational rigor.
- 5 or more years of people management experience in building, managing and/or developing high-performing teams.
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders across a legal department, advising, influencing decisions, managing change, and working to achieve strategic goals required.
- Strong understanding of a wide variety legal technologies and software such as eDiscovery, eBilling, and knowledge management tools.
- Executive-level business acumen in the areas of business operations, industry practices and emerging trends required.
- Strong organizational and project management skills; ideally a proven track record of applying methods for process improvement (e.g. lean management, Six Sigma, etc.).
- Financial management track record, experience owning and optimizing a budget in a cost-conscious environment.
- Strategic thinker who is action-oriented with strong leadership and communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to analyze operational issues, diagnose problem areas and provide the leadership necessary to effect change.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or Master’s degree in a related field highly preferred.
- Deep understanding of legal department operations, especially operating model between outside counsel and the department.
- Demonstrated experience with strategic planning, outside counsel management, data & analytics and systems implementation and management.
The future is what you make it to be. Discover compelling opportunities at Fanniemae.com/careers.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, personal appearance, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the application process, email us at [email protected]