Food Service Manager/Chef
- 4401 Village Dr, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
Fairfax University of America is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) institution committed to setting a new standard in higher education. Through our student-centered approach, we strive to provide the most positive environment for learning available anywhere. Our programs are structured to allow students great flexibility in the design and direction of their own studies. To keep pace with the latest developments in technology and teaching, our curriculum and materials are regularly reviewed and revised, and our instructors receive further training, as necessary.
It is the policy of FXUA to provide equal employment and educational opportunities for all people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, source of income, place of residence or business, and veteran status. An integral part of this policy is to administer recruiting , hiring, working conditions, benefits and privileges of employment, compensation, training, opportunity for advancement including upgrades and promotion, transfer, and termination of employment including layoff and recall for all employees in accordance with this policy.
Position Overview: Under the general supervision of the Director of Operations/Facilities & Property Management, the Food Service Manager/Chef will plan, establish, manage and coordinate activities of VIU Cafeteria. Prepare and cook food in a cafeteria with a menu.
- Plan, and coordinate the establishment of FXUA Cafeteria.
- Organize and provide catering service to the University events.
- Manage the University Snack Shop.
- Plan menus that are varied, nutritionally balanced, and appetizing, taking advantage of foods in season and local availability.
- Determine meal prices, based on calculations of ingredient prices.
- Monitor menus and spending to ensure that meals are prepared economically.
- Prepare specialty foods such as soup, salad, sandwiches and tacos, following specific methods that usually require short preparation time.
- Prepare and serve beverages such as coffee and fountain drinks.
- Mix and bake ingredients to produce breads, rolls, cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, or other baked goods.
- Use the government food commodities to ensure that proper procedures are followed.
- Evaluate quality of food ingredients or prepared foods. Check the quality of raw materials to ensure that standards and specifications are met.
- Clean food preparation areas, cooking surfaces, and utensils. Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas. Clean, stock, and restock workstations and display cases.
- Take food and drink orders and receive payment from customers. Serve orders to customers at windows, counters, or tables.
- Clean and inspect galley equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
- Train new employees.
- Order and take delivery of supplies. Compile and maintain records of food use and expenditures. Prepare or maintain inventory and production records.
- Requisition food supplies, kitchen equipment, and appliances, based on estimates of future needs.
- Provide support to the Facilities & Property Management department as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- High school degree.
- 3+ years of experience of cooking experience in fast food, cafeteria or restaurant is required.
- Experience supervising others, required.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, and standards associated with health and safety, labor compliance, government codes, contract development, administration and termination
- Ability to conduct price/cost analysis techniques for sourcing of contracts for goods and services
- Ability to meet deadlines and work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Knowledge of principles and practices of vendor management
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with teams to accomplish goals.
- Ability to create and run reports
- Ability to work independently, as needed, with limited supervision
- Strong initiative and proactive attitude required
- Ability to work with a highly diverse staff, faculty, and student body
- Ability to excel in a demanding, outcome-oriented, and dynamic work environment
Think you have what it takes? Apply today!
NOTE: Candidates selected for a phone screen or an interview will be contacted. Please do not call to follow up on your application as we have a high volume of calls and will not be able to respond to every inquiry