Supervisor - IS Development, Customs & Compliance
- 1015 3rd Ave, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
“We’re not in the shipping business; we’re in the information business” -Peter Rose, Expeditors Founder
Global supply chain management is what we do, but at the heart of Expeditors you will find professionalism, leadership, and a friendly environment, all of which foster an innovative, customer service-based approach to logistics.
- 15,300 trained professionals
- 250+ locations worldwide
- Fortune 500
- Globally unified systems
At Expeditors we work hard but we also understand employees have a life outside of the office. While you can’t take your dog to work with you, what you will have is an awesome work/life balance so there will be plenty of time after work to go to the dog park with Fido. We’re professional and customer-service focused which is not just internalized, it’s part of our outward appearance too. Think flip flops are dangerous? You’ll fit right in. We have a professional dress code so those flip flops would have to wait for the dog park.
The department you’d be joining is our Information Services (IS) department which is comprised of various infrastructure teams (e.g. Networking, Unix, etc.) and business application teams broken into business or operational areas of focus (e.g. Cargo Handling, Accounting, Customs & Compliance, etc.). The group you’d be attached to is the Customs & Compliance business application development group. They drive the development of new systems/applications, as well as the enhancement of existing systems, essential to the processing of data used by customs and other regulatory organizations around the world. The team you’d supervise is the Compliance development team. They work on trade and product compliance-related systems that ensure our branch operations personnel perform their duties with integrity and in accordance with all applicable policies and laws.
More specifically, as the Compliance team Supervisor, you’d be responsible for coordinating, assigning, and overseeing software development work for our compliance applications. You will have 6-8 direct reports from various disciplines such as Development, Quality Assurance, Business Analysis, User Experience, and Project Management and be expected to mentor and coach these team members. You will also be collaborating with our business/product owners and other stakeholders to bring on new projects, prioritize work, improve processes, and collaborate to develop enterprise-wide trade and product compliance solutions.
- Leading projects from inception to delivery as well as keeping older systems aligned to evolving technical standards; you will own and be responsible for the new stuff we work on but also ensure we “keep the lights on” for our older applications too
- Leadership of a technical discipline on a software development project team; even if you’re not technical yourself, you’re not afraid to manage the work of people who are
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and help teams and stakeholders drive towards clarity and consensus; you’re not afraid to think strategically and help others do the same
- Proven ability to coach and mentor team members to achieve high levels of productivity and motivation; you’re more of a leader than a manager and are someone others want to follow
- Emotional intelligence; you’re self-aware, open to giving and receiving feedback as well as able to foster trust with and between team members
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you’re persistent yet patient when immediate solutions aren’t available to complex problems
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability; you’re a, “the buck stops here” kind of person who is willing to take initiative and drive towards achieving results
- Working knowledge of Object Oriented Development, Service Oriented Architecture, and Domain Driven Design; if these terms do not scare you, great. If you know what they are, even better!
- Understanding of the transportation/logistics industry; at the very least, you are curious about the big picture of our industry and how our software systems help our operational teams get their work done
- Working knowledge of Agile development methodologies and activities, particularly Scrum and SAFe; essentially, you understand how to minimize waste and maximize the productivity of a team
Expeditors offers excellent benefits
- Paid Vacation, Holiday, Sick Time
- Health Plan: Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Training and Personnel Development Program
- Position is full time – 40 hour work week Monday – Friday
Successful candidate must pass the company's defined background check
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Key words: Logistics, Global Supply Chain, Coaching, Java, Development, Supervisor, Management, Leadership, Agile, SDLC, Service Oriented Architecture, Scrum, SAFe, Domain Driven Design