Customs Compliance Coordinator
- Sunnyvale Saratoga Rd, Sunnyvale, CA, USA
“We’re not in the shipping business; we’re in the information business” -Peter Rose, Expeditors Founder
As a Fortune 500 company, Expeditors employs more than 16,000 trained professionals in a worldwide network of over 300 locations across six continents. Expeditors satisfies the increasingly sophisticated needs of international trade through customized solutions and seamless, integrated information systems. Our services include the consolidation and forwarding of air or ocean freight, customs brokerage, vendor consolidation, cargo insurance, time-definite transportation, order management, warehousing, distribution and customized logistics solutions. Expeditors is headquartered in Seattle, Washington.
The Customs Compliance Specialist will be part of a Global Onsite Team (located at customer's premise) supporting one of Expeditors high-tech customers. The Customs Compliance Specialist is a key member of the import/export compliance team which facilitates the efficient and timely movement of goods worldwide. The dynamic nature of this team requires individuals who can think quickly, act independently, and proactively solve problems before they arise. Strong customer service skills and effective communication are required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages Customs compliance requests via customer's proprietary ticketing system
- Ensure import/export tickets are resolved quickly to prevent disruptions in supply chain.
- Advise customers on import and export restrictions and customs compliance related impacts to supply chain.
- Ensure 100% adherence to laws, regulations, and corporate policy. This includes internal policies and procedures such as Standard Work Instructions (SWI), external government regulations and customer policies / requirements.
- Review and approve shipping documents and commercial invoices.
- Learn and disseminate regional customs and compliance laws and regulations.
- Work upstream with supply chain planning teams on customs compliance matters.
- Responsible for daily tracking of operational metrics.
- Quickly escalate issues and resolve complex problems.
- Effective collaboration and solid communication with internal and external parties.
- Keep management up-to-date with projects and work orders.
- Continuous process improvement mindset: identify gaps in current processes and procedures. Provide recommendations to improve operational processes.
- "Delight the Customer." responds to customer's requests in a timely and professional manner. Always go above and beyond to exceed customer's expectations.
- Bachelor's degree from a four year college or university.
- 1-3 years related experience in import or export operations preferred.
- 1-2 years experience in a supervisory role with direct reports preferred.
- Knowledge of air, road and ocean transport logistics processes.
- Good knowledge of incoterms and impacts to supply chain and logistics.
- Effective interpersonal skills, including proven abilities to listen, comprehend, effectively communicate clearly and concisely to obtain positive results.
- Pro-active, strong organizational skills.
- US Customs Brokerage License preferred.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, email and various PC based software.
- Evaluate regulatory requirements related to industry and company interests.
- US Citizen, green card or valid independent work permit required. No sponsorship of visas or work permits.
Expeditors offers excellent benefits
- Paid Vacation, Holiday, Sick Time
- Health Plan: Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan (US only)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Training and Personnel Development Program
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.