Senior Scientist I, ADC Chemistry
- Alameda, CA, USA
- Location: Alameda
- Department: Discovery Biotherapeutics
- Division: Drug Discovery
- Position Type: Regular Full-Time
Every Exelixis employee is united in an ambitious cause: to launch innovative medicines that give patients and their families hope for the future. In this pursuit, we know our employees are our most valuable asset. After operating in the challenging biotech sector for 25 years, we have a proven track record of resiliency in the face of adversity. The success of our lead product has provided a solid commercial foundation allowing us to reinvigorate our research efforts, and grow our team in areas such as Drug Discovery, Clinical Development and Commercial.
As we expand our global partnerships and further reinvest in R&D to help us discover the next breakthrough for difficult-to-treat cancers, we’re seeking to add talented, dedicated employees to power our mission.
Cancer is our cause. Make it yours, too.
Discovery Biotherapeutics is seeking a knowledgeable, self-motivated scientist to provide Antibody Drug Conjugate Chemistry (ADC Chemistry) support for the advancement of the ADC portfolio at Exelixis. The successful candidate must have strong chemistry and bioconjugation background as they will support discovery research and early process development activities for ongoing and new ADC projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides bioconjugation and chemistry expertise for state-of-the-art ADC technologies including linkers, payloads, novel conjugation methods, analytical assessments and testing and bring novel ideas to POC.
• Manage out-sourced work with CROs, collaboration partners and internal departments.
• Set-up equipment in new ADC laboratories and conduct hands-on laboratory studies as needed to support ADCs and bioconjugates.
• Participate in the design, implementation, and management of pharmacology studies for ADC candidate screening and selection conducted by CROs and in-house as needed.
• Critical scientific/technical data analysis, interpretation of experiments and report writing.
• Effectively communicate scientific concepts, findings, and interpretation to multi-disciplinary teams.
• Interacts and collaborates with internal departments to deliver quality and timely findings in support of drug candidate advancement.
• Follows company intellectual property and compliance policies and practices.
• Complies with company health and safety policies and general laboratory practices.
• May directly supervise employee(s).
• Ph.D. in Chemistry or a closely related field and a minimum of zero years of related experience; or,
• MS/MA in Chemistry or a closely related field and a minimum of ten years of related experience; or,
• BS/BA in Chemistry or a closely related field and a minimum of twelve years of related experience; or,
• Equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong scientific understanding of chemistry, mechanism of action of cytotoxins and ADCs, and pharmacology studies in discovery of ADCs.
• Hands on laboratory experience in bioconjugate research including critical reagent generation, identification, and optimization of bioconjugates, material production, purification, analytics, and characterization.
• CRO management experience for out-sourcing of studies is preferred.
• Demonstrated drive for rigorous scientific excellence. Ability to think critically and creatively to identify and solve scientific problems.
• Knowledge of state of the art in different aspects of ADC research including conjugation technologies, linkers, and payloads.
• Extensive knowledge of bioconjugation platforms, applications, and development. Comprehensive understanding of current approaches and emerging technologies in ADCs.
• Knowledge of intellectual property matters, and issues related to ADCs
• The knowledge to apply advanced scientific and technical principles, theories, and concepts, and contribute to the development of new principles and concepts.
• Ability to work independently, excellent time management and organization skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
• A strong team player.
• Advanced knowledge in ChemDraw, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, PDF, Graphpad prism.
• Good tracking record and report writing.
• Works on extremely complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables.
• Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
• Uses professional concepts in accordance with company objectives to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.