- Sandwich, UK
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company, providing a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries, to make life and our environment safer, healthier and more sustainable. From the food you eat, to the water you drink, to the medicines you rely on, Eurofins works with the biggest companies in the world to ensure the products they supply are safe, their ingredients are authentic and labelling is accurate. Eurofins believes it is a global leader in food, environmental, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and in the support of clinical studies.
In over just 30 years, Eurofins has grown from one laboratory in Nantes, France to over 50,000 staff across a network of more than 900 independent companies in over 50 countries and operating more than 800 laboratories. Eurofins offers a portfolio of over 200,000 analytical methods to evaluate the safety, identity, composition, authenticity, origin, traceability and purity of biological substances and products, as well as providing innovative clinical diagnostic testing services, as one of the leading global emerging players in specialised clinical diagnostics testing.
In 2020, Eurofins generated total revenues of EUR € 5.4 billion, and has been among the best performing stocks in Europe over the past 20 years.
We are currently recruiting for an enthusiastic and innovative Material Scientist. The successful candidate will be engaged in characterising and solid form screening of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API’s) and drug products and intermediates with a focus on pharmaceutical product and process development. This is a new and exciting opportunity based at our client’s facility, a top tier Pharmaceutical company in Sandwich, Kent, UK. The opportunity is for a graduate, ideally with 2-3 year’s relevant industrial experience.
The purpose of this role is to determine the project requirements, design, conduct and analyze the results from solid form screening experiments. In addition, the ability to characterize solid forms using standard material science techniques eg., PXRD, DSC, TGA, DVS will be advantageous.
- Liaise with project teams to understand the specific solid form challenges. Collaboratively working to determine solutions.
- Utilise experience to advice project teams on overcoming solid form and crystallisations challenges.
- Generate solid form data and write technical reports to support Intellectual Property Claims.
- Determine experimental plans to investigate relationships between different physical forms of API and / or process intermediates.
- Hands-on generation of solid state chemistry data using routine laboratory techniques such as powder X-ray diffraction, thermal analysis, vibrational spectroscopy, amongst others.
- To perform crystallisation experiments under a wide variety of conditions intended to isolate crystalline salts, co-crystals, polymorphs, hydrates, solvates, etc.
- To perform small scale experiments (<25mg) to understand the thermodynamic relationship between various solid forms of materials and the generation of phase diagrams.
- To perform small scale screening of APIs and Intermediates for solid state forms and their properties.
- To perform routine and non-routine analysis using traditional and modern analytical techniques, as required by the Lead Scientist or client representative.
- Communicate effectively with project teams and present data at team meetings.
- Maintain high quality documentation of all activities in electronic notebooks and reports as required.
- An ability to design and conduct lab based experiments in solid form screening and analysis with minimal support.
- Ability to plan and review work schedules to meet deadlines, communicate results clearly.
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as required.
- A degree in Chemistry or a related discipline with 2-3 years experience
- Experience of automated or semi-automated screening technologies or use of automation tools would be advantageous.
- Practical experience in crystallisations
- Evidence of good time management skills i.e. ability to effectively plan, prioritise and organise own work in response to business need.
- Effective oral and written presentation skills.
Pharmaceutical, Material Science, Solid Form, Crystallography, Crystallisation, Polymorphism, Screening South England, South East, Kent, Sandwich