Senior Cost Accountant
- San Leandro, CA, USA
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company, providing a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries, to make life and our environment safer, healthier and more sustainable. From the food you eat, to the water you drink, to the medicines you rely on, Eurofins works with the biggest companies in the world to ensure the products they supply are safe, their ingredients are authentic and labelling is accurate. Eurofins believes it is a global leader in food, environmental, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and in the support of clinical studies.
In over just 30 years, Eurofins has grown from one laboratory in Nantes, France to over 47,000 staff across a network of more than 900 independent companies in over 50 countries and operating more than 800 laboratories. Eurofins offers a portfolio of over 200,000 analytical methods to evaluate the safety, identity, composition, authenticity, origin, traceability and purity of biological substances and products, as well as providing innovative clinical diagnostic testing services, as one of the leading global emerging players in specialised clinical diagnostics testing.
In 2019, Eurofins generated total revenues of EUR € 4.56 billion, and has been among the best performing stocks in Europe over the past 20 years.
Strong growth is allowing ESS to further expand our team with a need for a Senior Cost Accountant. In this role, the Senior Cost Accountant is primarily accountable for implementation and maintenance of ongoing MRP and standard costs activity, and supporting general accounting operations and the production of financial and operational reports within the organization, including:
- Support develop and maintain documented system of accounting policies and operations; Manage company accounting/ERP/MRP software, seeking opportunities to improve systems and processes.
- Implement MRP processes, establish and maintain standard costs and MPR data and systems in collaboration with group controllers including material, labor and overhead cost components
- Ensure all Bill of Materials are accurate, correct, and current.
- Ensure all standard company cost accounting practices and procedures are properly implemented and monitored.
- Support ESS accounting aspects (including AP, Billing, financial statements, general ledger, budgeting tax compliance, revenue recognition and various special analyses)
- Maintain the plant’s Inventory and Fixed Asset subledger details
- Maintains the plant’s system of accounts and keeps books and records on all transactions and assets
- Coordinate the preparation of the plant budget, maintain other planning and control procedures (including the cost accounting system), and analyze and report variances
- Responsible for preparing, analyzing and coordinating reporting to plant and senior management
- Work with our Eurofins US National Service Center (NSC) and Eurofins Group accounting departments to provide timely, complete and relevant financial information, streamline financial accounting reporting processes and improve the financial health of the company.
- Support organizing the annual budget of the company in collaboration with the president; measuring company performance against the budget and providing routine (monthly) updates concerning performance; Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Acting as the primary support person for month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial activities.
- Reconcile legal entity P&L/balance sheets and deliver summary reconciliation reports to the management team.
- Support on financial analyses and decision-making regarding capital investments, pricing, contract negotiations, significant costs, benchmarks, and other matters with management and chief financial officer.
- Carry out any supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company’s policies and applicable laws.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Work as a partner with the President and other key personnel to maximize efficiency and profitability
- Conduct monthly review of departmental financial statements with departmental managers
- Work closely with President and management team to set and/or implement policies, procedures and systems and to follow through with implementation.
- Strong numerical proficiency, organization, problem-solving skills and excellent use of logic
- Contribute operations and financial information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; prepare and complete action plans; implement and improve upon accounting and financial standards; resolve problems; complete audits; identify trends
- Maintain safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Recruit, select, train, assign, schedule, coach, and counsel employees
- Communicate all operating policies and/or issues at department meetings
- Work closely with the logistics/supply chain team to perform analysis of our inventory and ensure we are utilizing our inventory effectively
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
Basic Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, economics or finance.
- 5+ years of relevant accounting experience, managerial experience a plus
- Involvement in of MRP/ERP system implementation
- Cost accounting for manufacturing business a must
- JD Edwards experience a plus
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) license a plus
- Proficiency with accounting software required
- Excellent computer skills; experience in accounting software and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); Access, database, or other system knowledge.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and initiatives with ever-increasing responsibility and product manufacturing requirements
- Analytical knowledge to evaluate manufacturing and service level information to guide operational decisions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of management within the Company and outside vendors/customers
- Expected travel associated with position is <10% of the time and may change with industry/business demands.
Position is full-time, Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm. Candidates currently living within a commutable distance of San Leandro, CA are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent full time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid vacation and holidays
Eurofins is a M/F, Disabled, and Veteran Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.