Senior Analytical Chemist
- Northampton, UK
Eurofins|BLC is a small but growing business specialising in testing and consulting and operates within the Eurofins Softlines and Leather division. Established for a 100 years specialising in leather and products such as footwear, bags and upholstery, we have the technical pedigree and experience to provide targeted, testing and consulting solutions up and down the supply chain.
Eurofins|BLC is part of the Eurofins Scientific group which provides a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries, to make life and our environment safer, healthier and more sustainable. From the food you eat, to the water you drink, to the medicines you rely on, Eurofins works with the biggest companies in the world to ensure the products they supply are safe, their ingredients are authentic and labelling is accurate. Eurofins believes it is a global leader in food, environmental, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and in the support of clinical studies.
In 2019, Eurofins generated total revenues of EUR € 4.56 billion, and has been among the best performing stocks in Europe over the past 20 years.
Responsibility for coordinating a small team of analytical chemists to schedule and prioritise testing workload to achieve client deadlines, ensuring that speed and efficiency is maximised whilst maintaining precision and accuracy. The role is the same as an analytical chemist but has increased responsibilities.
The preparation, analysis and reporting of leather, textile, polymers and chemical samples for a wide range of restricted substances at low concentrations according to standard test methods and in house methods according to documented procedures. The analyst will be required to follow and maintain ISO 17025 quality procedures to ensure traceability is maintained and accurate data is reported to clients.
- Coordinate a small team of analytical chemists alongside the other senior analytical chemist to ensure client samples are prepared, tested and reported within the allocated time.
- Checking and signing of test reports.
- Managing the development of new and existing methods within the instrumentation area.
- Training and oversight of staff in new and existing test methods.
- Validation of test methods with determination of precision, bias and uncertainty to the standard of ISO 17025.
- Provide support to the Laboratory Manager and Quality Management Team.
- Accurately prepare and weigh out leather, textile, polymer and chemical samples for testing.
- Deconstructing consumer products such as shoes and handbags into their individual components
- Preparing liquid extracts from the samples using standardized solvent extraction and solid-phase extraction (SPE) clean-up procedures
- Identifying and quantifying the specific restricted substances in the sample extracts using advanced analytical instrumentation.
- Processing the raw analytical data and maintaining analytical quality control charts.
- Responsible for development of new methods and continuous improvement of existing methodology.
- Responsible for the maintenance of analytical instrumentation.
- Maintaining a clean and tidy laboratory
- Performing any other reasonable duties to assist the testing team and the business.
- Supporting the commercial team with technical enquiries from customers
- Act as a positive role model to encourage quality, efficiency and accuracy.
What We Are Looking For:
- Degree educated in chemistry or equivalent
- Strong technical background and understanding gained from working with single and triple quadrupole GC-MS and/or LC/MS systems.
- Proven experience of developing, implementing and validating testing methods using single and/or triple quadrupole GC-MS and/or LC/MS systems.
- Strong track record in delivering high-quality outputs to agreed deadlines.
- Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with colleagues
- Positive attitude with a sense of urgency in a fast-paced environment reflecting the high sample volume of this market-leading commercial laboratory
- Adherence to the highest standards of precision, accuracy and record-keeping for maintaining our UKAS accreditation for a wide range of methods
- Initiative and an ability to multi-task and plan work effectively to meet strict deadlines
- Competence in using Microsoft Office software
- Accountability and responsibility for own work
- A flexible approach to working additional hours when required.
37.5 hours per week, Competitive Salary, Life Assurance, Private Medical Insurance, Group Pension Scheme, Perkbox Discounts, Free Parking