Laboratory Team Leader
- Acton, United Kingdom
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company, providing a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries, to make life and our environment safer, healthier and more sustainable. From the food you eat, to the water you drink, to the medicines you rely on, Eurofins works with the biggest companies in the world to ensure the products they supply are safe, their ingredients are authentic and labelling is accurate. Eurofins believes it is a global leader in food, environmental, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and in the support of clinical studies.
In over just 30 years, Eurofins has grown from one laboratory in Nantes, France to over 47,000 staff across a network of more than 900 independent companies in over 50 countries and operating more than 800 laboratories. Eurofins offers a portfolio of over 200,000 analytical methods to evaluate the safety, identity, composition, authenticity, origin, traceability and purity of biological substances and products, as well as providing innovative clinical diagnostic testing services, as one of the leading global emerging players in specialised clinical diagnostics testing.
In 2019, Eurofins generated total revenues of EUR € 4.56 billion, and has been among the best performing stocks in Europe over the past 20 years.
Please note working hours are Mon-Fri, 8hr shifts. Occasional weekend work may be required.
We are offering an exciting opportunity as the Laboratory Team Leader to join our Covid testing operation in Eurofins.
The purpose of the role is to lead the team and ensure the laboratory has an appropriately trained and competent staff to ensure our high-throughput Covid testing laboratory maintains its operational objectives of turnaround, quality, health and safety.
- Clearly communicate the business vision and business unit strategy to your team of analysts
- Lead direct reports and the laboratory team to work closely with internal departments and stakeholders to deliver operational performance which exceeds client expectations and department objectives/KPIs
- Ensure the laboratory is fully staffed with trained and competent personnel to cover all shifts and that necessary training records and matrices are in place
- Ensure that all production work complies with documented laboratory procedures
- Ensure that production work is also carried out in a clean and tidy working environment
- Oversee laboratory equipment management and ensure staff have adequate consumables to perform their tasks
- Maintain the quality system in line with internal policies and third party requirements and undertake investigations, to ensure effective preventive actions are implemented
- Advise management without delay of any problems affecting operations in the laboratory
- Manage staff training, ensuring an engaging and informative induction is in place, which empowers staff with key skills and techniques to perform their role to a high standard.
- Run team briefing meetings on a regular basis to keep team updated and briefed on key matters relating to the business, customers and the team
- Ensure continued personal and professional development through the Eurofins PDR process and regular 1-2-1 meetings
- Expect and recognise high performance from direct reports
- Manage performance issues
- Empower and motivate your team by creating an environment where people perform, grow, contribute and enjoy
- Manage the team in relation to Eurofins’ health and safety policies and expectations, to provide the team with a comfortable and safe environment of work
- Act as the principal laboratory escalation contact for external stakeholders, working closely with the management team to resolve any service issues or complaints in a timely manner
- Take a proactive approach to Continuous Improvement (CI) within all aspects of the day to day role; striving to improve output and the efficiency of activities carried out across the laboratory
We look for people who believe in what we believe in – people who enjoy coming to work each day and being part of a team:
- Confident leader who leads by example and able to operate within the company’s core values of Customer focus, Quality, Competence & Team Spirit and Integrity
- Ability to carry out all people management aspects of the role
- Previous experience of working within a high throughput highly regulated laboratory setting is essential
- Customer focused with a strong drive for delivering results
- Strong decision maker and communicator at all levels
- Knowledge and understanding of PCR analysis is beneficial
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and mentor others.
- Ability to motivate and direct a team, with proven planning and organisation skills.
- Shows resilience and tenacity in a high throughput laboratory with very quickly changing priorities
- Excellent attention to detail is essential to instil a right-first-time team philosophy.
- Excellent time management skills required
As part of any recruitment process, the company collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. The company is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive please be aware that if you do not receive a response within 4 weeks of the vacancy expiry date unfortunately, on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.