- San Diego, CA, USA
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company, providing a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries, to make life and our environment safer, healthier and more sustainable. From the food you eat, to the water you drink, to the medicines you rely on, Eurofins works with the biggest companies in the world to ensure the products they supply are safe, their ingredients are authentic and labelling is accurate. Eurofins believes it is a global leader in food, environmental, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and in the support of clinical studies.
In over just 30 years, Eurofins has grown from one laboratory in Nantes, France to over 47,000 staff across a network of more than 900 independent companies in over 50 countries and operating more than 800 laboratories. Eurofins offers a portfolio of over 200,000 analytical methods to evaluate the safety, identity, composition, authenticity, origin, traceability and purity of biological substances and products, as well as providing innovative clinical diagnostic testing services, as one of the leading global emerging players in specialised clinical diagnostics testing.
In 2019, Eurofins generated total revenues of EUR € 4.56 billion, and has been among the best performing stocks in Europe over the past 20 years.
The Scientist III will be part of the San Diego R&D group to develop and execute key innovation projects at Eurofins DiscoverX to support drug discovery efforts. Responsibilities will include leading assay development of novel biochemical binding assays using pre-existing as well novel technologies. In a team setting, the scientist will be involved in experimental design, execution, and troubleshooting, including Molecular Biology support and routine operation of liquid handling robotics (Echo, V-Prep), instruments for the direct measurement of ligand binding (MST), and automated plate readers (e.g. EnVision, qPCR or similar). Will work closely with the Screening Operations team to execute newly developed assays and will be involved in their commercial implementation. Qualified candidates should have at minimum a B.Sc. in biological or physical sciences and 7 years of relevant experience or a PhD with no prior industry experience. Strong communication and presentation skills and the ability to work effectively in teams are essential. Experience working in a biochemistry and molecular biology lab with proven independence in those techniques is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Independent strategic design and execution of novel KINOMEscan assays for diverse targets and target classes. Includes independent experimental design, troubleshooting, and data analysis in Excel and Graphpad. Work closely with the Screening Operations team to execute development of experiments and commercial implementation.
· Develop new assays using microscale themophoresis (MST) to measure biophysical interactions across various protein classes.
Execute ad hoc cloning projects using Gateway and/or restriction-based cloning, routine sequence verification for large clone arrays, tissue culture, transfection, protein extraction and Western blot analysis
· Key point scientist leading large client projects; includes routine client meetings and presentations, updates, and execution of client goals.
· Support the Business unit by contributing to scientific meetings and publications and provide internal marketing material.
· Routine and ad hoc mentorship of junior and senior R&D and operations colleagues.
· Identify areas where IT would greatly improve operation efficiency and write user requirements for the development of software tools (no coding required).
· With minimal supervision, design and execute troubleshooting experiments to improve TAT.
· Develop and optimize SOPs as part of continuous improvement program, perform routine QC on equipment and new reagent lots, maintain inventory of key reagents.
· Be conscientious and active learner
· Good record keeping in lab notebook following SOP to the letter
· Demonstrates and promotes the company vision
· Regular attendance and punctuality
· Performs other duties as assigned and provides cross-functional support to other departments as required
· Owns the accountability and responsibility of delivering to client needs and timeliness
· Adjusts work hours as needed to meet client deadlines
· Adheres to site employee health and safety (EHS) requirements
The Ideal Candidate would possess:
- Experience working in a molecular biology lab executing routine cloning, DNA sequence analysis and protein extraction projects is a plus.
Basic Minimum Qualifications:
- B.Sc. in biological or physical sciences and at least 7 years of relevant experience or PhD with no experience
- Deep understanding working on ligand binding kinetics, thermodynamics, or enzyme activity/kinetic assays.
- Experience in designing, performing, analyzing, and troubleshooting of experiments for quantitative biochemical and /or biophysical assays is required.
- Authorization to work in the United States indefinitely without restriction or sponsorship
Position is full-time, Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm. Candidates currently living within a commutable distance of San Diego, CA are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent full time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid time off and holidays
Eurofins is a M/F, Disabled, and Veteran Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.