- Guildford, UK
Eurofins County Pathology is part of one of the largest private laboratory networks in the world. The successful applicant will be required to work at our Guildford laboratory overseeing Haematology, Biochemistry, Virology and our new Molecular and Bacteriology departments.
Please note that the working hours for this role are as follows: 37 hours per week, covering core hours between Monday to Friday 08.00 – 20.00 and Saturday 09.00 -15.00.
A role at Eurofins is challenging and varied each and every day. In return we offer a competitive salary and benefits package to reward our great people for all the hard work they do.
We are looking for an experienced, self- motivated individual to take on this challenging role within our busy and progressive departments as we move to new premises. You must hold an MSc, FIBMS or Higher Specialist Diploma and have relevant post qualification experience.
Your main role will be to manage the Haematology (2 x Horiba Yumizen 550s) and Clinical Chemistry (3 x Roche 8000s) and support the Bacteriology and Molecular departments. The annual workload from our entirely private customers is in excess of 200,000 requests per year.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your career as you would be expected to play a key role in further development and expansion of our existing services.
We are a UKAS accredited medical laboratory. We support Continuous Professional Development, encouragement is given to attend and participate in both internal and external lectures / seminars.
- To supervise the laboratory making efficient use of staff and equipment
- To prepare and analyse samples using the current laboratory protocol
- To maintain adequate stocks of reagents and consumables
- Sort and identify specimens received
- Register patient details and tests required on the laboratory computer
- Prepare samples where appropriate for analysis
- Perform analysis of samples and keep records of test results
- Supervise junior staff
- Advise users of the service on appropriate testing protocols
- Enter test results on laboratory computer
- Use and operate equipment such as centrifuges, automated equipment, pipettes and computer terminals in the approved way
- To manage the laboratory
- Prepare solutions and reagents
- Clean and sterilise laboratory equipment, shelves, bench tops and sinks
- Dispose of contaminated material including sharps
- Check stock levels or equipment and make sure new stock is ordered when they are getting low
- To maintain a good relationship with the consultant pathologists
- Develop the laboratory as techniques become available
- Monitor QC performance and take necessary action to correct poor performance
- Oversee the Quality Processes within the laboratory
- Perform a risk assessment on laboratory procedures and prepare a protocol in agreement with the rest of the staff.
- Respect information obtained in the course of duties performed, and refrain from disclosing such information without the consent of the employee/patient or person entitled to act on their behalf, except where disclosure is required by law or by the order of a Court or is necessary in the public interest.
- It is essential that you have BSc in Biomedical Science or equivalent.
- You must be registered with the HCPC
- You must have solid experience of working within the healthcare field working as a laboratory manager in a QA / regulatory environment.
- Experience with accounts is essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Effective managerial skills especially with small teams.
- Be highly numerate.
- Experience of utilising accounts software (Mac Moneyworks desirable).
- Able to take minutes and write reports
- Flexible, highly motivated, effective team player; methodical, ability to understand and meet targets and deadlines, able to learn and assimilate new information
- Commitment to working the hours required to fulfil the job, including flexibility of working.
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company, which provides a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries. The Group believes it is the world leader in food, environment, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and for supporting clinical studies. In addition, Eurofins is one of the leading global emerging players in specialty clinical diagnostic testing.
In 2018, Eurofins generated 4.2 billion Euro proforma turnover in 800 laboratories across 47 countries, employing about 45,000 st
In return you can expect a competitive salary, 25 days holidays plus bank holidays, good team and working environment, life assurance and other benefits such as Perkbox, car parking and employee assistance programme.
As part of any recruitment process, the company collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. The company is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive please be aware that if you do not receive a response within 4 weeks of the vacancy expiry date unfortunately, on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.