Laboratory Supervisor (Microbiology)
- Galashiels TD1, UK
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company which provides a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries. The Group believes it is the world leader in food, environment, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and for supporting clinical studies. In addition, Eurofins is one of the leading global emerging players in specialty clinical diagnostic testing.
In 2018, Eurofins generated 4.2 billion Euro proforma turnover, from 800 laboratories across 47 countries and employs about 45,000 staff.
We have 2 roles available as per below:
- Monday to Friday on alternating shift patterns of Monday and Tuesday 2pm to 10 pm, Wednesday to Friday 12 noon to 8 pm. Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm.
- Wednesday to Friday 14.00 - 22.00 and Saturday and Sunday 09.00 - 17.00
A role at Eurofins is challenging and varied each and every day. In return we offer a competitive salary and benefits package to reward our great people for all the hard work they do.
- General bench duties and assisting with organisation of staff.
- Assisting with training, supervision and mentoring of a team of laboratory analysts in the documented laboratory methodology.
- Handling of reference cultures and preparation of working cultures for Quality Control purposes.
- Assisting with preparation and Quality Control processes of microbiological growth medium.
- Deputising for in the absence of Microbiology Laboratory Management.
- Plate reading, result interpretation and entry on lab worksheets, as well as providing training in this area for staff.
- Carrying out and training of staff for confirmation tests on suspect pathogen isolates
- Recording and reporting of results
- Assisting with ordering and stock control of all laboratory media and supplies.
- Assisting with the calibration of laboratory thermometers and thermocouples and ensuring that calibration is carried out within required timescales.
- Liaison with sub-contractors, visitors to site for maintenance/calibration of equipment etc.
- Recording of any non-conforming issues in Anomalies Book and reporting to Laboratory Management.
- Ensure completion of all relevant checks in accordance with daily duties, e.g. media records, pipettor weight checks etc.
- Ensuring the requirements of laboratory accreditation are met at all times and assisting in maintenance of the Quality System
- Participation in Laboratory Continuous Improvement Team meetings and regular quality meetings in order to highlight any areas of concern within the laboratory.
- Assisting with laboratory audits conducted by external agencies e.g. UKAS, customers or retailers.
- Participation in laboratory external proficiency and internal quality control schemes
- Assisting with implementation of continual improvement of laboratory operation.
- Minimum of HND in biological sciences (or equivalent) is essential
- Experience in a food testing laboratory
- Good communication skills
- Excellent organisational ability
- Effective leadership skills
- High level of attention to detail
In return you can expect a competitive salary, 25 days holidays plus bank holidays, good team and working environment, life assurance and other benefits such as Perkbox, car parking and employee assistance programme.
As part of any recruitment process, the company collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. The company is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive please be aware that if you do not receive a response within 4 weeks of the vacancy expiry date unfortunately, on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.