Operations Laboratory Manager
- Northampton, UK
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company, which provides a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries. The Group believes it is the world leader in food, environment, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and for supporting clinical studies. In addition, Eurofins is one of the leading global emerging players in specialty clinical diagnostic testing.
In 2018, Eurofins generated 4.2 billion Euro proforma turnover in 800 laboratories across 47 countries, employing about 45.000 staff.
Eurofins BLC (part of Eurofins Scientific) is a specialist, testing and consulting business that operates within the Eurofins Softlines and Leather division. Established for nearly 100 years, and specialising in leather, and products such as footwear, bags and upholstery, we have the technical pedigree and experience to provide targeted, testing and consulting solutions up and down the supply chain.
A member of the senior management team and responsible for the overall day to day operation of the laboratory. Co-ordinating and working closely with the departmental heads in order to maximise the operational efficiency of the lab, while maintaining high levels of safety, quality and service. Responsible for ensuring that the laboratory operation has both the capability and capacity to deliver the services required to support the testing function whilst driving operational excellence.
- Managing a high volume commercial laboratory to a rapid turnaround and exceptional quality levels
- Managing approximately 20 staff across the analytical and performance testing laboratory, with 5-6 direct reports
- Ensure that the environmental conditions of the laboratory are appropriate for the testing performed and provide a safe environment meeting regulatory requirements
- Ensure the quality control and quality management systems are maintained to assure the quality of laboratory services provided and to identify any non-conformities in quality as they occur. Implementing corrective actions
- Ensure operational adherence to applicable policies, standard operating procedures and methods by all operational staff
- Establish where necessary and maintain existing operational standards for cost control, quality, safety and on-time delivery
- Ensure all equipment/instrumentations are properly maintained and serviced complying with regulatory standards where applicable and/or to ensure proper performance and function
- Daily rounds of the laboratory to judge the effectiveness of operation, utilisation of staff and creating/influencing an environment in which staff perform, grow, contribute and enjoy their work
- Identify laboratory training needs and look at ways to develop the required skills to align with the resource plans as well as maintaining the training requirements for all lab technicians and analysts
What We Are Looking For:
- A professional confident individual with excellent interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to provide effective leadership and motivate staff
- To be a role model leader, leading by example and continuously embed our core values of quality, customer focus, competence, integrity and to foster team spirit
- Must have a sound knowledge of the laboratory environment including health and safety and quality processes, it is essential that these must be clearly relayed, understood and adhered to
- The ideal person will be degree educated with a chemistry discipline
- A minimum of 10 years working in a testing environment of a similar industry
- Experience and proven track record in managing high volume throughput laboratories
- Desirable to have a qualification/specialism in leather technology
- Knowledge of the operation of ISO 17025 accredited laboratory
Working 37.5 hours per week, Competitive Salary, Life Assurance, Private Medical Insurance, Group Pension Scheme (match contribution of up to 5 %)