Laboratory Supervisor / Manager
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company, which provides a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries. The Group believes it is the world leader in food, environment, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and for supporting clinical studies. In addition, Eurofins is one of the leading global emerging players in specialty clinical diagnostic testing.
In 2018, Eurofins generated 4.2 billion Euro proforma turnover in 800 laboratories across 47 countries, employing about 45,000 staff.
The Laboratory Supervisor or Manager receives sufficient authority from, and is accountable to the President or appointed designate for the successful completion of assigned duties and responsibilities and has the authority to take action necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of this position and to identify the occurrence of departures from the quality system or from the procedures for performing tests and/or calibrations, so long as such action does not deviate from established company guidelines, is consistent with sound technical and business judgment, and follows the practices of the laboratory.
Overall Objectives and Responsibilities:
- The Supervisor's primary responsibility is to ensure clients expectations are met by providing a high-quality sample analysis delivered in a timeline that exceeds market standards. This position will provide solutions to the technical needs of our clients while achieving or exceeding Sales, Profitability, Quality and Turnaround Time goals.
- Continually strive to improve the quality of work we provide to our clients through method development, verification and modification of new and or existing methods;
- Oversee timely and accurate analysis of samples to meet customer commitments. This includes, but is not limited to, sample preparation for sample analysis, data review and reduction, and providing data interpretations and opinion.
- Oversee daily lab operations including: employee leadership, process control, continues quality improvement, innovation through information technology. Ensure all regulatory procedures pertaining to sample testing are followed correctly.
- Responsible for the supervision, organization, and coordination of all technical activities of personnel within the principles of sound scientific endeavors, business economy, and the professional development of subordinate employees.
- Manage the technical conduct, quality control, and related record keeping of all analytical evaluations performed.
- Provide the necessary planning, organization, direction, and control to meet the goals of the company.
- Understand and follow Quality System documents relevant to responsibilities, e.g., Quality Manual, SOPs, Methods, and Local Policies.
- Adhere to appropriate quality measures, which meet or exceed the standards set by government regulatory, and company requirements.
- Follow all company guidelines and procedures relevant to assigned duties.
- Adhere to all pertinent health, safety, and environmental regulations.
- Establish and maintain professional business relationships with clients, industry officials, and peers.
- Assist in the generation of marketing strategies. Create and review literature for marketing new methods and instrument capabilities to clients.
- Responsible for the operational success of the laboratory, which includes, but is not limited to budgeting, making decisions on capital expenses, attending to major client needs, revenue & profit growth, and cost control.
- Represent the laboratory in technical meetings.
- Participate with the Sales/Marketing team in the preparation and quotation of major technical studies.
- Ensure that the laboratory expenses are on track with the annual budget.
- Approve laboratory expenses and control the costs of the laboratory within established company guidelines.
- Analyze monthly Key Performance Indicators (turnaround time, productivity, etc.).
- Verify that company employment policies and procedures are followed correctly.
- Perform annual performance reviews for direct reporting personnel. Coordinate and review annual reviews of other lab personnel.
- Handle employee relation issues as per company guidelines and with the support of Human Resources.
- Coordinate the interaction between the different laboratory departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor of Science Degree; M.Sc. or PhD an asset;
Experience in leading a laboratory team;
Experience writing, reviewing, and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures
Experience investigating complaints and deviations and taking corrective and preventative actions as necessary
Strong Understanding of GMP/GPP/GLP and/or ISO standards
Familiar with Health Canada Regulations
Experience in conducting and responding to audits (internal and external)
Experience in method validation and equipment qualification and calibration
Experience in assessing analytical testing results
Excellent written and oral communication skills in order to prepare reports, write standard operating procedures and maintain communications with Health Canada - an extremely high level of English (spoken and written) will be required
Ability to handle different types of samples such as food, cannabis, pharmaceuticals including narcotics, etc.
Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaborate in a team-based environment
Ability to multitask and remain calm under pressure
High level of professionalism.
This position is working in an office environment within the lab where sitting is required for greater than 20% of the time. Moderate lifting requirements of no more than 20 lbs.
Off-site travel and off-hours work may be required to achieve departmental objectives, as well as working periodic weekends and/or evenings.
** Please note: this posting is for ongoing hiring for future open positions. Candidates will be contacted as open roles become available. Thank you! **