New Product Development Process Manager
- Reading, UK
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company, which provides a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries. The Group believes it is the world leader in food, environment, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and for supporting clinical studies. In addition, Eurofins is one of the leading global emerging players in specialty clinical diagnostic testing.
In 2018, Eurofins generated 4.2 billion Euro proforma turnover in 800 laboratories across 47 countries, employing about 45.000 staff.
At Eurofins Food Integrity & Innovation, our Product Design experts work directly with your team to design, reformulate or launch food, beverage or supplement products to align with your brand. Our team brings you both speed and confidence as you deliver your product to market. Unlock innovation that brings delicious and nutritious new product concepts to life with commercial viability. For more information in relation to Eurofins Food Integrity and Innovation please visit our website:
As a Process Development Manager you will be well versed in all phases of the food and beverage product development cycle and be able to work independently to develop new products and processes from concept through to plant scale-up. Additionally, you may also have line management responsibility for a junior technologist or placement student. It’s the Process Development Managers responsibility to manage the development of our processing and laboratory facilities to ensure that products are produced safely, legally and to the desired client quality standards, through inventing new recipes, concepts and manufacturing process.
Responsible for managing all stages of development, technical or quality projects to deliver exceptional service to the client, this requires:
- Strong working knowledge of ingredients and application to food and beverages
- Executes experimental design, analysis and sensory work at benchtop and pilot scale
- Writes, structures and executes project plans
- Seeks out information/facilities to get the job completed. Collaborates with internal and external resources (suppliers, consultants, professors, service providers and other third-party people) to find solutions.
- Prepares clear and concise written reports, formulas, presentations and data so it’s ready for the client with little or no editing required by supervisor. Maintains documentation.
- Ensures food samples are prepared to GMP standards and procedures are followed.
- Guides or executes experimental and analytical work, pilot plant scale-up and commercialization as required by the project.
- Liaises with other Eurofin sites to co-ordinate product analysis and reporting.
- Generation of label data, including ingredient lists and nutritional tables.
- Ensures that the pilot plant and laboratories operates within the principles of GMP and to the requirements of SALSA. Execute internal audits and implement corrective action procedures.
- Responsible for reviewing the facilities to ensure they are appropriate for our client’s requirements, writes capex proposals, manages and executes laboratory capex budget.
- Responsible for the maintenance and organization of the laboratory’s food processing pilot equipment, stability cabinets, analytical equipment, chillers and freezers. Reports and addresses any significant faults in the laboratory / pilot plant.
- Develops equipment operating procedures, instructions and guidelines relevant for daily work in the lab. Ensures these are kept up to date and trained to wider team.
- Ensure that the laboratories are stocked with required consumables for efficient day to day operation.
- Organizes, installs, commissions new equipment. Trains out and signs off other team members to the required standards on the use of pilot plant, processing and analytical equipment.
- Responsible for the good order of the lab. Co-ordinates with the site’s facility management to ensure the fabric of the laboratories and office are maintained to appropriate GMP / SALSA standards. Liaise with the contract companies to ensure adequate cleaning procedures are in place and followed for lab coats, facilities and waste disposal.
- Maintains the recording of ingredients, chemicals, products and packaging in line with our traceability and record procedures.
- Carries out equipment calibration checks in line with defined schedule.
- Interfaces with supervisor and clients in a timely manner to understand client needs and establish project deliverables, plans and designs specific activities, manages and executes clients brief.
- Ensures all client work is treated as confidential, meets current food safety, and legal compliance.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in a food related field (e.g. Food Science, Food Engineering, Food Technology, Food and Nutrition, Product Development, Food Processing, Sensory Science).
- Proven experience within the industry, excluding industrial placement year.
- Has worked within a blue-chip company or in applications on behalf of clients or customers.
- Practical experience in process and product development. Can demonstrate end to end development including, ability to design recipe formulations to running factory trials.
- Can demonstrate the ability to manage internal or external clients / stakeholders.
- Able to use Micosoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Good understanding of current food labelling legislations.
- Good awareness of the BRC Global Food Standards
70% of job role. Lead and Manage the technical delivery of client projects, involved in all aspects of the end to end development process; working on multiple client projects to create and develop product formulations and prototype samples. Manages ingredient sourcing, generates label declarations, costings, conducts shelf life studies, carries out co-manufacture searches, and plans and executes trials both at our Eurofins facilities and third-party pilot plans or client manufacturing sites. Provision of a first class service to our clients.
30% of job role. Responsible for the day to day safety operational management and running of the laboratory and pilot plant, including operating the equipment and maintaining the facilities to meet the requirements of our clients, internal GMP practices and SALSA accreditation.
In return you can expect a competitive salary, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, good team and working environment, life assurance and other benefits such as Perkbox, car parking and employee assistance programme.