Trainee Public Analyst
- Wolverhampton, UK
Eurofins Scientific is an international life sciences company which provides a unique range of analytical testing services to clients across multiple industries. The Group believes it is the world leader in food, environment, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products testing and in agroscience CRO services. It is also one of the global independent market leaders in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, discovery pharmacology, forensics, CDMO, advanced material sciences and for supporting clinical studies. In addition, Eurofins is one of the leading global emerging players in specialty clinical diagnostic testing.
In 2018, Eurofins generated 4.2 billion Euro proforma turnover, from 800 laboratories across 47 countries and employs about 45,000 staff.
Public Analyst Scientific Services is the largest supplier of public and agricultural analyst services to local authorities in the UK. Our public analysts provide sampling advice, analytical services and expert opinions to local authority customers and offer regional coverage across the UK, providing a local service. We are offering an exciting opportunity as a Trainee Public Analyst to join our team based in Wolverhampton and be part of our growing business.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for suitably qualified science graduates to undertake training and development in preparation for qualifying as a Public Analyst. Public Analysts are scientists whose principal task is to ensure the safety and correct description of food, animal feed, waters and consumer products by testing for compliance with legislation.
The training will involve studying and working with two appointed Counsellors in all areas of the Public Analyst business. The successful candidate will train at different laboratories within the Eurofins Group and also undertake external training where deemed necessary. It is anticipated that candidates will register to take the series of examinations immediately with a view to successful completion of the examinations within 3-4 years. Candidates must be prepared to study extensively outside of normal working hours. Full support will be provided including travelling and subsistence expenses.
A role at Eurofins is all about team work and working towards a common goal to ensure the health and safety of us all.
- To study and train alongside Counsellors and Public Analysts in the science and application of the law related to food, animal feed and water testing.
- To complete the recommended syllabus for study, which includes the theory of analytical chemistry, application of the theory and practical experience in testing.
- To study the science of microscopy in relation to identification of foods and substances related to food and animal feed.
- To study the law related to food, feed and waters.
- To attain suitable experience in the organisation and running of a Public Analyst laboratory.
- To become a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and satisfy the MChemA examiners in each part of the formal examinations.
- To work at any laboratory as directed by the Public Analyst during the training period.
- Analysis of samples including official enforcement samples from local authorities.
- Assist in the development and validation of new methods of testing
- Carry out testing on PT samples and in-house reference materials as directed
- To attend a combination of external and internal training courses.
- To maintain a professional approach to their work, to participate in a suitable CPC scheme.
- A significant amount of work will be expected to be done outside of normal working hours.
- On achieving the MChemA qualification consideration will be given to appointment to a permanent position as Public Analyst.
We look for people who believe in what we believe in. People who enjoy coming to work each day and being part of a team who provide "results that matter" in establishing the safety, composition, authenticity and origin of our food and water.
- It is essential that you are a Science graduate with a degree containing a significant amount of Chemistry
- Competent in the use of a range of analytical instrumentation including GC, HPLC, UV, Classical wet chemistry analysis
- Experience of analysis of food, animal feed and water
- At least 3 years’ experience working as a laboratory analyst
- Knowledge of ISO 17025 quality systems
- Experience of carrying out audits
- Competent in use of databases, spread sheets and word processing
- Use of eLIMS, ComLIMS offer and Quotations and instrumentation software would be desirable
- Positive and committed attitude
- Good communication skills
What Happens Next
Our people are the backbone of what we do, so it's incredibly important we find the right individuals to join us. As a potential new recruit you'll be invited to meet the team in the form of an assessment centre or a staged interview process dependent on the role and it's requirements, this will give you the opportunity to see what working for Eurofins is really like and enable us to get you know your key skills and strengths.
As part of any recruitment process, the company collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. The company is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations.
We reserve the right to close or extend this position depending on application numbers. Therefore we would urge candidates to submit an application as early as possible.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive please be aware that if you do not receive a response within 4 weeks of the vacancy expiry date unfortunately, on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.