Senior Software Engineer I, Search Experience
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee, whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, or Depop, you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
What's the role?
As a Senior Engineer on Search Experience, you will play a major role in improving the shopping experience for millions of Etsy buyers. We are looking for someone who is product and delivery driven, and passionate about crafting innovative products at scale. Would you enjoy helping someone find that flawless item, even when they might not know the exact words to describe it? If so, this could be the perfect match.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Engineering Manager for Search Experience. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. For this role, we are considering candidates based in Mexico. You will have the option to work office-based, flex or remotely. Candidates living within commutable distance of Mexico City, or within the Guadalajara area, may be the first to be considered. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our flexible work options and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
The Search Experience team is a part of the Search group, focused on improving the quality of matchmaking between Buyers and Sellers. Our team is a cross functional group consisting of full-stack and machine-learning engineers, engineering manager, product managers, product designers, an analyst and a user researcher distributed across the US and Mexico. Some of our team values are:
- We work together to form an effective, high-functioning, and fun team.
- We source ideas and collaborate with other teams.
- We prioritize speed to learning over perfection and build space in our timelines to clean up and iterate.
- We prioritize equitable treatment, inclusivity, and diversity.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Build sophisticated solutions to help our buyers discover items from Etsy’s outstanding and diverse listings inventory for their personalized shopping missions.
- Prototype, optimize, and productionize large-scale product improvements that deliver key results.
- Run A/B experiments to validate product improvements.
- Collaborate with product managers, product designers, analysts, researchers, and other full-stack engineers to deliver optimal content to tens of millions of users.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change based on the needs of the team.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- A track record operating within a large codebase and working to create simplicity from complex systems.
- Enjoy using data and experimentation to find creative solutions to difficult problems and make informed decisions about the team’s work.
- Product development experience with the ability to write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- Enthusiastic about why your work is important to users and how it relates to your team’s goals.
- You collaborate effectively with your teammates and with others outside your team (Product Managers, Data Analysts, and Designers) to ensure that we are delivering impactful product features.
- You care about web performance.
- You are interested in building high quality user experiences that may be powered by machine learning.
- Provide leadership and guidance by turning ideas and opportunities into meaningful tracks of work that can be picked up by others.
- A trust in and commitment to Etsy’s vision, mission and values.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.