Senior Software Engineer I, Machine Learning Systems
- 20 California Street, San Francisco, CA
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. Etsy, Inc.'s 'house of brands' portfolio has expanded to now include four individually distinct ecommerce brands – Etsy, fashion resale marketplace Depop, musical instrument marketplace Reverb, and Brazil-based handmade goods marketplace Elo7. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
Etsy is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Machine Learning Systems team. Our team's goal is to build real-time, configurable & scalable systems that enable state of the art machine learning algorithms for product experiences at Etsy.
We are looking for individuals who will push the boundaries of our ML platform by investigating & building cutting-edge systems for Etsy. Ideal candidates have experience building platforms & services for Machine learning problems at scale. We are seeking individuals passionate in building systems & infrastructure for Recommender Systems, Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, Computational Advertising, Deep Learning and Computer Vision.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Senior Manager, ML Systems. We are considering remote candidates based in US for this position. Etsy offers three different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team: Flex mode for candidates who are comfortable traveling to an office location 2+ times per week, Remote mode, and Office-based mode. Learn more about our flexible work modes and vaccination policy here.
About the Role
- Centralized Feature Store
- Embeddings Platform / Approximate Nearest Neighbor systems
- Realtime ML & Streaming services for Machine Learning
- Platform for Reinforcement Learning / Bandit algorithms
- Computer Vision pipelines & systems
- You share our values (below) and are looking for a company that has a solid mission.
- Solid Infrastructure background with 3+ years of industry ML Engineering & systems experience.
- Background in Machine Learning and related fields (equivalent of B.S. degree or above in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Machine Learning, Operation Research, Statistics, Data Science or related engineering fields).
- Practical experience designing & architecting large scale machine learning systems.
- Strong engineering and coding skills, with ability to write high performance production code. Proficiency in Java, Python, Scala, and/or other equivalent languages.
- You have built distributed services with technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, Spark etc.
- Hands-on experience in Machine learning frameworks & technologies such as Tensorflow / TFX, Pytorch, Kubeflow.
- Preferred proficiency with data pipelines in Hadoop/Spark.
- Experience with streaming data and its application to ML solutions is a plus.
- You have strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Strong collaboration skills as well as both verbal and written communication skills.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.