Senior Product Designer, Marketplace Compliance
- 117 Adams St., Brooklyn, NY
- Employees can work remotely
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. Etsy, Inc.'s 'house of brands' portfolio has expanded to now include four individually distinct ecommerce brands – Etsy, fashion resale marketplace Depop, musical instrument marketplace Reverb, and Brazil-based handmade goods marketplace Elo7. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
What’s the role?
Etsy is home to a wide variety of markets across the globe, with a core focus on the US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, and Australia.
The Compliance team is responsible for making sure that the Etsy marketplace aligns with legal and regulatory obligations for our worldwide community of buyers and sellers. We achieve this by working closely with multi-functional compliance leaders to ensure we're solving for core regulatory requirements and business objectives.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a newly formed team that is rethinking how both Etsy and our sellers see continued success across our rapidly growing marketplace. Our mission is to bring a customer-centric product vision to life as we make Etsy a safe, trusted, and encouraging place to conduct business!
What product design is like at Etsy?
Typically, product designers at Etsy work in a squad with a product manager, 3-5 engineers, researcher and analyst. Together they drive their own part of Etsy, deliver solutions to challenging problems and get feedback directly from customers.
Day to day, it looks like:
- Discovering insights, opportunities, and requirements
- Testing prototypes and hypotheses with users to collect feedback
- Launching experiments and evaluating how they perform and how to iterate
- Sharing your work to peers and leadership, async and in-person
- Taking part in weekly design critiques, workshops, all hands and squad meetings
- Thinking and writing about your process and documenting your decisions
We are considering remote candidates based in the United States for this position. Etsy offers three different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team: Flex mode for candidates who are comfortable traveling to an office location 2+ times per week, Remote mode, and Office-based mode. Learn more about our flexible work modes and vaccination policy here.
Senior level at Etsy means:
- Runs independently or gives direction to designers within your team
- Leads workshops and effectively align the group around a vision and approach
- Has a track record of designing complex flows and customer journeys
- Thinks and designs at a system level, not just interface elements or pages
- Regularly makes use of your soft skills: listening, negotiating, decision-making
- Spends time providing mentorship to other designers
- Plays a key part in hiring, onboarding, and improving our team’s culture and engagement
Qualities we value in designers:
- Effective articulation of ideas and design solutions
- Expressing feedback with kindness and candor
- Tolerance for ambiguity and healthy curiosity
- Translation of quantitative & qualitative insights into design decisions
- Contribution to our culture: motivation, optimism, quality, integrity
Interested in applying? See our tips for interviewing for a design role at Etsy.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you've hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.