Senior Software Engineer, Support Platform
- 117 Adams St., Brooklyn, NY
- Employees can work remotely
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
The Support platform aims to provide human and effortless support where and when our members need it. As an engineer on our team, you will play a major role in improving the experience for millions of Etsy buyers and sellers. We’re a cross-functional group of engineers, data scientists, product managers, designers, and researchers.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to collaborate and lead in building trustworthy software and outstanding user experiences.
Here’s a taste of the problems we’re solving:
- Create a human and effortless support experience for our members
- Identify recurrent issues that can be resolved with a better experience
- Equip agents with a best-in-class platform to provide personalized support
Etsy is built on Google Cloud Platform, and our Web stack runs on PHP and MySQL. On the front end, we’ve developed and migrated to our own design system, and mostly build interfaces using React. We were one of the earliest and are one of the largest practitioners of continuous deployment in the industry.
This is a full-time position within our Support platform group located in Brooklyn, NY (eventually).
We’re also open to remote hires within all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.
For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the Role
As a senior software engineer at Etsy, you will:
- Take the lead on advising and implementing solutions to loosely scoped problems.
- Deliver projects independently OR by leading the path for your teammates to do so.
- Mentor and coach other engineers on your team and across the company to help them succeed.
- Usually work across multiple parts of a system, whether it’s front-end and back-end, or online and offline.
We are proud to have an engineering culture that encourages career growth and learning. You can learn more about our philosophies, tools, and some of the challenges we’ve been solving on our Code as Craft, our engineering blog.
You will do well in this role if you:
- Have five or more years of practical software development experience.
- Can optimally and effectively use data to drive decision-making and solve problems.
- Are comfortable working within a large codebase and strive to create simplicity from complex systems.
- Write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability and scalability.
- Are comfortable working on a cross-functional product team with Product Managers, Designers, Researchers, and Data Analysts to maximize the impact of our work.
- Are invested in Etsy’s vision, mission and values.
Experience with the technologies we currently use is beneficial, but not required.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.