Business Development Director
- 200 W Arbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
Founded in 1997 by a Medical Doctor, Ergomed Plc is dedicated to the development of new drugs to save or improve lives. Operating with a global footprint in over 55 countries, Ergomed has the expertise to manage even the most challenging clinical trials. Ergomed provides services to over 100 clients in a range of therapy areas but excels in the provision of services for complex trials in Rare Diseases, Oncology and Neuroscience.
This role can be based anywhere on the West Coast of the US, San Francisco or San Diego
Duties and responsibilities
- Initiates, coordinates and develops strategic plans and sales strategies within a specified territory or accounts.
- Identify new business sales opportunities, and to work with the internal Ergomed plc team to respond appropriately to any enquiry, For example a Request for Information (RFI) or a Request for Proposal (RFP)
- Facilitate the preparedness of the team in attending any client meetings. For example, Capabilities meetings or Bid Defence Meetings (BDM)
- Coordinate and monitor any budget or contract negotiations, post award of any work within a specified territory or accounts.
- Establish and maintain regular contact and an excellent rapport with future and current clients.
- Prepare and organize sponsor presentations
- Collect critical information for proposal preparation
- Understand the RFI/RFP process and to provide detailed input and leadership of the proposal process for each opportunity initiated
- Manage costs e.g. expenses appropriately and to submit claims in a timely manner
- Positively interact with operations personnel, keeping track of study status for projects with sponsors and help coordinate change orders when notified of a change of scope by operations.
- Monitor and track competitor CRO activities
- Plan and attend major industrial events and tradeshows as budgeted and required
- Develop account strategies & implementation plans and expand through accounts
- Identify new markets and research new business opportunities, identifies likely sales points within a specified territory or accounts
- Coordinate and supervise all activities aiming to develop and retain clients:
- Collects, compiles, analyzes and presents data related to business development
- Record all activities and client contacts in the Customer Relationship Management system. (Salesforce.com)
- Manage and/or mentor more junior members of the business development team (where appropriate).
- Provide input and to actively support the Chief Commercial Officer
- Provide reports as required for senior management and demonstrate leadership in best reporting practices.
- Excellent communication skills and team leadership capabilities consistent with influencing and driving multiple stakeholders towards meeting the customer’s needs.
- Excellent organisational, planning and multitasking skills, as well as a predisposition to entrepreneurship, results and customer focus.
- Excellent knowledge of CRO/PV business
- Computer competency and familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Minimum of five (7) years of clinical research/PV and/or sales experience
- Considerable sales experience of more than 5 years with strong negotiation and analytical skills
- Awareness of trends and government policies and regulations in the clinical trials area of Ergomed Group countries
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
- Good planning, organization and problem-solving abilities.
- Fluent in local office language and in English, both written and verbal
- Strong and effective presentation skills; ability to convincingly present features and benefits of service to clients
- Travel according to the needs of the business development strategy and to travel extensively within the sales territory and to company meetings as required
- An established network of decision makers within Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology companies and a proven track record of identifying and securing profitable service contracts.
- Demonstrable competency in sales or business development preferably from Contract Research Organisation or company providing services to the healthcare industry.
- A solid understanding of both the CRO and the pharmacovigilance business would be a clear advantage.
The role of business development within the organisation is to win new business, guide the overall business strategy and input to the board discussions to shape the business as it prepares for sustained growth and expansion. In order to maximise the potential in the business the new incumbent will take responsibility for the business development strategy and client retention in an allocated sales territory or with specified accounts. Responsible for the coordination of all activities delegated to business development staff with the support of the Head of Business Development.
The Senior Director, Business Development Director will work closely with the Senior Management team and Functional Managers, to cultivate strong, long term relationships with the key decision-makers in life sciences organisations. Therefore, the ability to use scientific rigor and intellect to discuss service solutions with clients and to target new clients is crucial.
We offer excellent chances to progress and develop. We work on a global basis on interesting projects within rare diseases, oncology, and neurology.