Counsel, Privacy and Regulatory - Equinox Fitness Clubs
- New York, NY, USA
Equinox Group is a high growth collective of the world's most influential, experiential, and differentiated lifestyle brands. We restlessly seek what is next for maximizing life - and boldly grow the lifestyle brands and experiences that define it. In addition to Equinox, our other brands, Blink, Pure Yoga, SoulCycle, Equinox Hotels and Equinox Media are all recognized for inspiring and motivating members and employees to maximize life. Our portfolio of brands is recognized globally with locations within every major city across the United States in addition to London, Toronto, and Vancouver.
We are passionate about high performance living and we practice what we preach – investing time in our own health and fitness. We believe that everyone has untapped potential within them and it takes a disruptive approach to unleash it. We dream big and don’t settle for the status quo. We sweat the details. We never accept less than 110% to help each other deliver the Equinox experience and enable our members to get great results. We are obsessed with what’s new, what’s now, what’s next. Never following, always leading, living ahead of the moment in fashion, culture and consumer behavior. We aren’t just a company; we’re a community vested in each other’s success. We value humility and a team approach at every level of the company.
If you are a high performing individual who is passionate about winning and inspiring others then we are excited to discuss career opportunities with you.
We are looking for a dynamic lawyer to join our team as Counsel, Privacy and Regulatory. You will be the primary support and voice in the room for all privacy legal matters across Equinox Group and its portfolio of brands, including Equinox Fitness, Equinox+, SoulCycle, Blink Fitness and Equinox Hotels. You will collaborate and counsel across our multifaceted businesses and support general regulatory and compliance programs and policies. Being a business-oriented lawyer who thinks creatively to recommend solutions and risk-mitigation strategies is just as critical to success as your substantive knowledge of laws and regulations. If you are a highly-motivated, organized individual who enjoys keeping up with consumer-facing privacy issues in a changing legal landscape, and counseling in an exciting and fast-paced environment, then this is the place for you.
- Oversee all legal and regulatory matters related to data privacy and security, including by managing CCPA, GDPR and other privacy compliance programs.
- Counsel business teams on privacy-by-design and the use of emerging technologies, such as biometrics and location-based services.
- Advise on best practices for compliance and regulatory matters across the organization, including by developing, maintaining and enhancing policies and procedures and implementing compliance training and monitoring.
- Maintain knowledge of current and proposed laws applicable to the businesses worldwide, including CCPA, GDPR, PIPEDA, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, as well as OFAC, FCPA, and AML laws, assessing impact on various businesses, products and services and recommending changes necessary to ensure continued compliance and mitigate risk.
- Provide day-to-day legal support and advice on a variety of initiatives, working closely and collaboratively with sales, data, technology, finance and operational teams and supporting colleagues across the Legal team.
- 5-8 years of legal experience handling a variety of privacy and other regulatory matters.
- CIPP/US certification required
- Prior in-house experience at a consumer-facing and/or data-driven business strongly preferred
- Excellent academic credentials, including a JD from a top law school
- Admission and member in good standing of the New York bar
- Strong business instincts and acumen and the ability to assess legal risk
- Exceptional analytical, communication and project management skills with a strong attention to detail
- Local candidates only
AS A MEMBER OF THE EQUINOX TEAM YOU WILL RECEIVE:
- We offer competitive salary, benefits and industry leading commission opportunities for club employees
- Complimentary Club membership
- Perks and incentives with our products and services including Personal Training, Pilates, Spa and Shop
In accordance with Equinox’s policies and our ongoing commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, their families, our members, and the community at large COVID-19 vaccines are required for employees in this position. Accordingly, any offer of employment is conditioned upon an applicant’s ability to provide proof of vaccination. Should you require accommodation for medical or religious needs, Equinox will engage in an interactive process with you to determine if a reasonable accommodation can be provided in accordance with applicable City, State and/or Federal law. Any approved accommodation will also include a requirement that unvaccinated employees submit to weekly COVID-19 testing and wear a mask at all times when in an Equinox office or club location.
This job description is intended to describe the general requirements for the position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure the proper operations of the department.
Equinox is an equal opportunity employer. For more information regarding our career opportunities, please visit one of our clubs or our website at https://careers.equinox.com/
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Must have a legal right to work in the United States.