Coordinator, Wyoming Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty (Wyoming-based)
- Cheyenne, WY, USA
Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty (CCATDP), a project of Equal Justice USA, is a network of political and social conservatives who question the alignment of capital punishment with conservative principles and values. For more information, visit conservativesconcerned.org.
Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a rapidly growing national organization working to transform the justice system by promoting responses to violence that break cycles of trauma. We work at the intersection of criminal justice, public health, and racial justice to elevate healing and safety over retribution, advance racial equity, and meet the needs of survivors. Our programs work to end the death penalty, limit and transform policing, expand community-based healing and violence prevention programs in impacted communities, and change the national narrative on violence and accountability.
We seek someone sharp, personable, and highly organized to work alongside a growing anti-death penalty coalition in Wyoming. Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty will support the coalition and help implement a multi-pronged plan to educate Wyoming residents about the death penalty, with a particular focus on increasing the visibility of Wyoming conservatives who support repeal. The ideal candidate will have experience and credibility working with conservatives; comfort collaborating across political differences; strong communication and outreach skills; knowledge of Wyoming landscape and culture; and a commitment to fairness and racial equity.
EJUSA has 22 staff members spread throughout the country and a small national office in Brooklyn. We’re a diverse team that loves working together to deliver real change. The CCATDP Wyoming Coordinator will report to CCATDP’s national manager and participate in EJUSA’s death penalty team. This will be a remote position based in Wyoming.
- Participate in the Wyoming Campaign to End the Death Penalty coalition and help implement strategy and tactics that educate the public and that foster and elevate support for death penalty repeal.
- Coordinate a statewide campaign to increase the visibility of Wyomingites who oppose the death penalty.
- Plan, design, and lead dialogues about the death penalty at small gatherings of conservatives, sharing information about how the death penalty doesn’t fit with conservative values.
- Identify and participate in meetings/events that foster relationships with members of the legal community, faith leaders, current and former law enforcement, family members of murder victims, legislators, and other community leaders.
- Identify, train, and empower potential campaign volunteers, leaders, and CCATDP spokespeople.
- Foster relationships with individuals and leaders of conservative groups working outside of CCATDP’s mission whose interests might align with anti-death penalty arguments (for example, limited government, pro-life values, the power of redemption, and/or other criminal justice reforms).
- Implement pieces of the Campaign’s communications plans, including developing social media, writing op-eds, organizing press conferences, and giving media interviews.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Experience in outreach, event organizing, advocacy, or related fields
- Experience and familiarity working with conservatives, preferably on issue-based campaigns
- Familiarity with the political and cultural landscape of Wyoming and Wyoming’s conservative communities
- Excellent interpersonal relationship building, networking, and social skills; ability to connect authentically and build trust with diverse groups of people
- Strong communication skills, including experience with public speaking
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, meet deadlines, keep things moving, and maintain a high attention to detail; flexible and tenacious
- Familiarity with Microsoft and web-based apps such as GoogleDocs
- Comfort working on a Mac or willingness to learn
- Passion and commitment to repealing the death penalty and to the mission and values of EJUSA, including a commitment to racial equity
- Ability to travel throughout Wyoming
Target start date: August 2019
Deadline: Open until filled; Hiring process will move quickly, so please submit your application ASAP.
Compensation: $45-$50k, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including employer-paid medical, vision, and dental care, retirement plan, 20 days paid vacation, 12 paid sick days, 11 paid holidays, 2 paid personal days, long-term disability insurance, and professional development allowance.
To apply: Visit http://www.ejusa.org/jobs to apply online. Upload a cover letter and resume (in PDF format only) by clicking "I'm interested" at the top of the page. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls please.
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply, including those impacted by the issues we work on. We consider all applicants on the basis of their ability to perform the job, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, physical appearance, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, justice system involvement, victims of domestic violence, stalking, or other crimes, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above listed classes.