Bookkeeper (New York City)
- 81 Prospect St, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a national organization working to transform the justice system by promoting responses to violence that break cycles of trauma. We work at the intersection of criminal justice, public health, and racial justice to elevate healing and safety over retribution, advance racial equity, and meet the needs of survivors. Our primary programs work to end the death penalty, limit and transform policing, and change the national narrative on violence and accountability.
We are looking for a skilled team player that is also passionate about social justice. We’re a terrific diverse team that loves our work and really enjoys working together! Reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration (DFA) in our Brooklyn office, the Bookkeeper works closely with DFA and the Operations Manager to manage EJUSA’s day-to-day accounting and financial management functions.
- Managing the complete Accounts Payables and Accounts Receivables functions, including entering receipt and disbursement transactions into QuickBooks, and tracking and managing A/P and A/R balances
- Processing staff purchase and reimbursement requests
- Tracking and processing staff credit card transactions
- Entering bi-weekly payroll data into QuickBooks
- Tracking information for 1099 vendors and processing 1099 forms at year end
- Entry and reconciliation of development department data into QuickBooks
- Preparing monthly invoices/expense reimbursements to grant funders
- Preparing financial reports, as needed/directed
- Creating documentation for the external accountants and assisting with preparation of annual 990 filings and audit
- Monitoring and enforcing fiscal policies, procedures, and internal controls
- Managing the organization’s chart of accounts
- Participating in the creation of annual operating and program budgets
- Maintaining orderly accounting records and files (electronic and paper)
- Assisting with filing and other clerical/administrative duties, as needed
- 3-5 years non-profit accounting/bookkeeping experience
Meticulous attention to accuracy and detail
Experience tracking and reporting on restricted grants
Proficiency with QuickBooks and the Microsoft Office suite, familiarity with DonorPro a plus
Familiarity with a Mac-based work environment
Positive attitude and friendly personality; ability to get along with many types of people and be a true team player
Commitment to the mission and core values of Equal Justice USA
Compensation: $50,000 to 55,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including employer-paid medical and dental care, retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and holidays, disability insurance, and professional development allowance.
Start Date: Immediately
To Apply: Visit www.ejusa.org/jobs to apply online. Upload a cover letter and resume in PDF format only by clicking "I'm interested" on the top right of the job ad. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls please. Applications will be reviewed immediately on a rolling basis.
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply, including those impacted by the issues we work on. We consider all applicants on the basis of their ability to perform the job, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, physical appearance, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, justice system involvement, victims of domestic violence, stalking, or other crimes, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above listed classes.