Senior Director of Programs (NYC or Remote)
- 81 Prospect St, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a rapidly growing national organization working to transform the justice system by promoting responses to violence that break cycles of trauma. We work at the intersection of criminal justice, public health, and racial justice to elevate healing and safety over retribution, advance racial equity, and meet the needs of survivors. Our programs work to end the death penalty, limit and transform policing, expand community-based healing and violence prevention programs in impacted communities, and change the national narrative on violence and accountability.
We seek an innovative, strategic, systems thinker to lead all of EJUSA’s programs, translating EJUSA’s bold vision of healing and transformation into concrete programmatic goals and impact. This seasoned leader will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for all program areas and will collaborate with program and executive staff to strengthen and grow current programs and foster new ideas. They will oversee a dynamic and passionate program team of 11 (soon 15) staff in multiple locations, including three direct reports (a Director of Advocacy and Campaigns, a Director of National Organizing, and a Director of Training and Capacity Building). EJUSA has a strong track record behind the scenes and is now emerging as a more visible force on the cutting edge of reimagining justice for communities that have long been harmed. This is an exciting opportunity to coalesce our work under one banner, build a robust and energetic program team, infuse racial equity more deeply across our programs, and work with some of the smartest organizers and strategists in the movement to take EJUSA to the next level.
EJUSA has 20 staff members spread throughout the country, growing to 30 in 2019, and a small national office in Brooklyn. We’re a diverse, passionate team that loves working together to deliver real change. The Senior Director of Programs will report to the Executive Director and serve on both the Executive Team and the Senior Program Team. This position can be based in our Brooklyn office or be remote.
- Lead EJUSA’s programs to achieve maximum impact by collaborating with senior program staff and as a thought partner with the Executive Director to collectively hold the top-level program development for EJUSA.
- Identify opportunities for cross-programmatic collaboration, design strategies to implement EJUSA’s vision, and ensure that EJUSA programs and campaigns are aligned with capacity, resources, development/fundraising efforts, EJUSA values including a commitment to racial equity, and other organizational priorities.
- Build, manage, mentor, and inspire an extraordinary team of change-makers; foster a spirit of collaboration, innovation, and learning across the department; and ensure that every program has clear goals, vision, direction, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Monitor criminal justice, racial justice, and related issues and identify opportunities to maximize EJUSA’s impact, consistent with our mission, vision, strategic plan, and program priorities.
- Lead the Senior Program Team, serve on the Executive Team, and act as primary liaison between the two. As a member of the Executive Team, help ensure leadership, management, coordination, communication, and collaboration across the organization.
- Represent EJUSA in external coalitions, conferences, movement strategy meetings, with funders, and with external partners as needed.
- Support EJUSA’s fundraising efforts, working with the development team to assist in the design of program proposals, reporting back to funders on accomplishments and deliverables, and collaborate in donor outreach.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Finance and Administration and senior program staff to develop and monitor EUSA’s program budgets and ensure that EJUSA is allocating resources and staff time appropriately to various program initiatives.
- Assist the Director of Strategic Communications in identifying opportunities to amplify EJUSA’s work and messages.
- Minimum 10-15 years progressive experience in program or organizational management and strategy, with a record of success in effective, forward-thinking, high impact program development. Issue-based or social justice advocacy context preferred
- Strong staff and program management skills, including experience supervising staff at a range of levels and developing programs that align with organizational strategies and considerations
- Strong strategic planning skills and experience leading teams to design strategies and work plans to achieve impact
- Commitment to racial equity and demonstrated experience managing multiracial teams and ensuring a racial equity lens in program development
- Experience designing and implementing systems and processes that help teams work better. A strong systems thinker.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, networking, and social skills; ability to connect authentically with diverse groups of people; team-oriented and collaborative
- Strong external communication skills, including public speaking and relationship building with high-level partners, funders, and other key stakeholders
- Experience and comfort working with people impacted by the issues we work on, including communities of color and people impacted by trauma, violence, and the justice system. People directly impacted by these experiences are strongly encouraged to apply
- Strong organizational ability, including the ability to juggle multiple projects, meet deadlines, and keep things moving, while maintaining a high attention to accuracy and detail
- A positive attitude, friendly personality, sense of humor, and the ability to get along with many types of people
- Ability to manage confidential information
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Equal Justice USA
Location: Brooklyn, NY (remote/offsite arrangements possible)
Deadline: Open until filled
Compensation: $100k-$110k, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including employer-paid medical, vision, and dental care, retirement plan, 20 days paid vacation, 12 paid sick days, 11 paid holidays, 2 paid personal days, long-term disability insurance, and professional development allowance.
To apply: Visit http://www.ejusa.org/jobs to apply online. Upload a cover letter, resume, writing sample in PDF format only by clicking "I'm interested" at the top of the page. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls please.
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply, including those impacted by the issues we work on. We consider all applicants on the basis of their ability to perform the job, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, physical appearance, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, justice system involvement, victims of domestic violence, stalking, or other crimes, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above listed classes.