Director of Development (Cover Letter Required)
- 81 Prospect St, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a rapidly growing national organization working to transform the justice system by promoting responses to violence that break cycles of trauma. We work at the intersection of criminal justice, public health, and racial justice to elevate healing and safety over retribution, advance racial equity, and meet the needs of survivors. Our programs work to end the death penalty, limit and transform policing, expand community-based healing and violence prevention programs in impacted communities, and change the national narrative on violence and accountability.
We seek an innovative and visionary leader to head EJUSA’s recently expanded Development department and all of our fundraising efforts, including the expansion of our major gifts program. The Director of Development will partner with the Executive Director, manage two full-time development staff, collaborate with other senior staff, and work with our Board of Directors. Through major gifts, foundation and government grants, and direct mail/email, the Director of Development will sustain and grow our $4M annual budget. We are looking for a fearless and energetic entrepreneur with a thirst for connecting dots, solving puzzles, and developing new ideas for growing our mission. The ideal candidate will be a natural relationship-builder and a staunch advocate for justice, healing, and especially, racial equity. EJUSA has a bold vision, a new strategic plan, and is growing – making this an exciting time to join our team and design the next phase of EJUSA’s strategy.
EJUSA has 20 extraordinary staff members throughout the country and a small national office in Brooklyn. We’re a diverse, passionate team that loves working together to deliver real change. The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director and will supervise a Manager of Institutional Giving and a Development Coordinator. This position will be based in our Brooklyn office, although we would consider remote arrangements for the right candidate.
- Planning and strategy: Drive the work of the development team including long-term, annual, and day-to-day planning, prioritizing, and management of EJUSA’s development work. Create an annual development plan and long-term development strategies to lead the next stage of EJUSA growth. Build revenue projections, reforecasts, and the annual development budget.
- Program Storytelling: Obtain a deep understanding of all program work and think creatively about how to make EJUSA’s transformative work come alive, inspiring more individuals and organizations to reimagine justice with us, support us and grow our impact.
- Major gifts: Build up and take the lead in managing EJUSA’s major giving program, developing the strategies, cultivation activities, materials/messages, and stewardship programs required to attract and retain five-figure and higher gifts from individuals. Work with senior leadership to find, cultivate, and solicit new major donors. Prepare the E.D. and other staff and board for donor meetings. Build relationships with donors.
- Foundations and government grants: Working together with a Manager of Institutional Giving, hone and expand our grants program (the strongest part of EJUSA’s current funding mix), develop proposals and reports, steward relationships with existing foundation donors, cultivate new foundations, and develop strategies for aligning EJUSA programmatic goals and projects with institutional donor interests.
- Direct mail/email: Supervise online and offline fundraising campaigns (currently three per year), mentoring our Development Coordinator to play a growing role in creating direct marketing campaigns and working with our Communications Department to develop content.
- Board: Inspire and engage the Board to be a fundraising asset. Act as the staff liaison to the Development Committee and work with individual board members to leverage their networks on behalf of EJUSA.
- Events: When relevant, organize small events that would enhance our donor cultivation strategies. Note: EJUSA has not generally held regular events and does not have an annual gala.
- Donor management: Ensure ongoing communication with donors, timely gift acknowledgement, accurate record keeping, and tracking and reporting.
- Staff management: Supervise the Development Coordinator and Manager of Institutional Giving, providing oversight to their work, cultivating their professional growth, and ensuring the effective operation of the entire development department.
- Organizational leadership: Serve as an active member of the senior leadership team to help shape and drive EJUSA’s overall organizational and program strategies. Ensure ongoing communication and collaboration with the administrative, communications, strategic growth, and program departments.
- Other development functions and projects as needed.
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant experience, preferably in a nonprofit fundraising environment
- Experience fundraising for advocacy a strong plus. EJUSA will also consider non-traditional development candidates with relevant experience in other fields
- Proven track record of cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual and institutional donors in traditional and creative ways
- Strong staff and program management skills, including experience supervising staff at different levels and managing a multifaceted team.
- Excellent communicator and storyteller; ability to make EJUSA’s work come alive through top-quality written materials, stories, and talking points.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills; relationship-builder. Ease relating to influential individuals and high net worth individuals.
- Strategic thinker; flexible and tenacious; creative and entrepreneurial; positive and optimistic when tackling challenges; high energy and goal directed.
- Ability to plan effectively, meet all deadlines, and coordinate the involvement of others.
- Ability to maintain high standards of ethics, integrity, and professionalism, including dealing with sensitive and proprietary donor information.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency with donor management databases and research databases. (Our current systems are DonorPro and Salsa).
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Passion and commitment to the mission and values of EJUSA.
- A strong and demonstrated commitment to racial equity.
Location: Brooklyn, NY (remote/remote arrangements may be considered)
Reports to: Executive Director
Deadline: Open until filled
Compensation: $115k-$130k, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including employer-paid medical, vision, and dental care, retirement plan, 20 days paid vacation, 12 paid sick days, 11 paid holidays, 2 paid personal days, long-term disability insurance, and professional development allowance.
To apply: Visit http://www.ejusa.org/jobs to apply online. Upload a cover letter, resume, writing sample in PDF format only by clicking "I'm interested" at the top of the page. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls please.
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply, including those impacted by the issues we work on. We consider all applicants on the basis of their ability to perform the job, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, physical appearance, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, justice system involvement, victims of domestic violence, stalking, or other crimes, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above listed classes.