Communications Manager (NYC or remote)
- 81 Prospect Street, Brooklyn, NY
Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a national organization working to transform the justice system by promoting responses to violence that break cycles of trauma. We work at the intersection of criminal justice, public health, and racial justice to elevate healing and safety over retribution, advance racial equity, and meet the needs of survivors. Our primary programs work to end the death penalty, limit and transform policing, and change the national narrative on violence and accountability. For more information, visit: https://ejusa.org
We seek an energetic, creative, and entrepreneurial Communications Manager to develop top-quality written and visual content, engage supporters online, and provide communications support to our programs and development efforts. This is an exciting opportunity to tell stories and inspire people around a transformational, forward-looking vision for justice and healing. The ideal candidate will have a passion for translating ideas to a wide range of audiences, including people with whom we disagree, and a knack for digital organizing. As half of our 2-person communications department, you’ll have an opportunity to help develop and participate in every aspect of our communications strategy.
EJUSA has 17 staff, with most located throughout the country, and a small national office in DUMBO, Brooklyn. This position would ideally be based in the Brooklyn office, but we will consider applicants from elsewhere who want to work remotely. We’re a terrific team that loves our work and really enjoys working together!
Content Creation & Maintenance
- Write, design, and disseminate compelling, persuasive, and accurate content that increases public engagement with EJUSA, including blog posts, action alerts, email blasts, social media posts, fact sheets, promotional materials, etc. via email, web, social media, and print
- Design and create basic graphic materials such as social media memes, flyers, table display materials, etc.
- Regularly update existing EJUSA fact sheets and work with program staff to create new educational materials to support program needs in the field
- Assist the Director of Strategic Communications to create media materials, including press releases, op-eds, talking points, press kits, etc.
- Ensure all externally-facing EJUSA materials align with our brand and graphic standards
- Maintain EJUSA’s website, ensuring a regular stream of fresh content
- Manage EJUSA’s Facebook and Twitter presence
- Create and distribute EJUSA email content, both directly and in collaboration with program staff and volunteers
- Respond to inquiries and comments received through EJUSA’s digital communications platforms (website, email list, social media)
- Manage EJUSA’s online database and advocacy toolset (currently in Salsa) and build new actions, donation pages, sign-up pages, etc.
- Maintain EJUSA’s Google AdWords account
- Recommend new online tools that would improve our online reach or streamline workflow, as appropriate
- Provide monthly reporting on digital analytics of website and social media engagement, page views, email performance, and other relevant insights and trends
- Maintain EJUSA’s press lists, press clips, and press tracking systems
- Maintain EJUSA’s branded stationery elements such as printed and digital letterhead, factsheet templates, etc.
- Manage the communications department’s third-party contractors, vendors, and partners, including graphic designers, web developers, printers, etc.
- Maintain EJUSA’s URL registrations and act as the point of contact for EJUSA’s web hosting and other online services
- Other communications functions and projects as needed
- Minimum 3 years experience in issue-based advocacy communications, with an emphasis on content creation and/or digital organizing
- Top-notch writing skills, including an easy-to-work-with writing style and the ability to make EJUSA’s mission and work come alive and inspire different types of audiences
- Graphic design and layout skills, including working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
- Knowledge of online advocacy and web tools such as Salsa and WordPress a strong plus
- Experience with simple video editing tools and other audio-visual content creation a strong plus
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to juggle multiple projects, meet deadlines, and keep things moving while maintaining a high attention to accuracy and detail
- Tech savvy and comfort with databases and new technology
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite and comfort working in a Mac-based environment
- Tenacious, creative, entrepreneurial, flexible
- A positive attitude, friendly personality, sense of humor, and the ability to get along with many types of people
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Equal Justice USA, including a commitment to racial equity
Location: Brooklyn, NY (remote/offsite arrangements possible)
Compensation: Low- to mid-$50k, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including employer-paid medical and dental care, retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and holidays, disability insurance, and professional development allowance.
Target start date: July 2018 (flexible) or until filled
To apply: Upload a cover letter, resume, and writing sample in PDF format only by clicking "I'm interested" on the top right of the job ad. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls please. Applications will be reviewed immediately on a rolling basis.
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply, including those impacted by the issues we work on. We consider all applicants on the basis of their ability to perform the job, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, physical appearance, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, justice system involvement, victims of domestic violence, stalking, or other crimes, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above listed classes.