3D Hard Surface Artist
- 105 W 4th St, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Epoch Games is a volunteer-based, all-online, global game development team. We have no centrally-located headquarters and are unincorporated at this time. The founding members were modders developing the total conversion Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (MERP) mod for the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
Currently Epoch Games is developing The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). LoA:SO is an in-development indie open-world RPG set in an original fantasy world. The game is being developed using Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 (UE4):
For more information about the game, please check out our IndieDb page:
NOTE: Although Epoch Games does have a formal office at the listed address, we have a fully-online team at this time. Communication is mostly done via Slack (an instant messaging application) and Trello (an online project collaboration tool).
In this volunteer position you will be asked to create a variety of high-quality, textured 3D assets for the The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO), being developed in Unreal Engine. We are looking for 3D Artists skilled in creating Hard Surface assets and textures, such as Architecture, Clothing, Armor, Weapons, Shields, Tools, etc.
Communication is key to a smooth and efficient pipeline. You must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with other team-members and not be afraid to ask should any problems arise. We are an English-speaking team, so English fluency is a must.
If you are comfortable with teaching, you may be called upon to aid the more junior members of the team in any relevant area.
Other duties include following team policies (given through team orientation as upon acceptance to the team) as well as attending meetings through Slack (our instant message program that we use to communicate)
This is a volunteer position, so no monetary compensation is being offered. We also cannot offer any work visas.
At this time, we are having to rely upon free (or previously licensed) software. Please refer to the applications listed below for guidelines. We do not endorse piracy in any shape or form.
Minimum Skill Requirements:
- High-quality 3D modeling hard-surface assets
- Physically-based Rendering (PBR) experience for game modeling/sculpting
- Previous experience working with low-poly/game-ready assets
- Full Texturing ability (Diffuse, Normal, Displacement etc)
- Able to work effectively and accurately from pre-defined concept art and designs
- Able to work with and provide constructive criticism and feedback
- Communication and Team-collaboration skills
- A passion for modeling and a dedication to creating AAA quality games
- Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4: https://www.unrealengine.com/register
- 3D Modeling Software: Autodesk 3DS Max/Maya, Blender, Pixologic ZBrush/Mudbox, etc.
- 2D Image Creation Software: Photoshop (CS4 and up), GIMP, etc.
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- The ability to run Unreal Engine 4
- The ability to run 3D Modeling Software and 2D Image Creation Software
- The disk space and Internet Speeds to download (pull) about 10 GB of game files
All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.