Lead Unreal Engine C++ Programmer
- 6000 Museum Dr, Winston-Salem, NC 27105, USA
Epoch Games is a volunteer-based, all-online, global game development team. We have no centrally-located headquarters and are unincorporated at this time. Most of the original founding members were modders developing the total conversion Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (MERP) mod for the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
Although we are a Volunteer Team (no monetary compensation is being offered up-front) at this time, Epoch Games has a Revenue Share and Stock Options Plan for all our developers once we begin receiving Revenue. We only expect spare-time hours from all our developers, as the vast majority of us at Epoch Games either have full-time jobs or are full-time students. We are very flexible with schedules.
Currently Epoch Games is developing The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). LoA:SO is an in-development indie open-world RPG set in an original fantasy world. The game is being developed using Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 (UE4):
For more information about the game, please check out our IndieDb page:
NOTE: The address above is the address related to Epoch Games' Incorporation, but is not related to the place of work. We are a fully-online team with no central headquarters at this time. Communication is mostly done via Slack (an instant messaging application) and Trello (an online project collaboration tool).
In this volunteer position you will be managing and coordinating the C++ Programming Department at Epoch Games, as well as assisting with interviewing new potential Programmers. You will be working alongside our Technical Director (who oversees other Technical Departments) as well as our Technical Producer (who handles Task Management and Blueprint Reviews). You must be able to spare a fair amount of hours to be online to communicate with the Programming Team on a regular basis. Keep in mind that The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO) is being developed in Epic Game’s Unreal Engine 4 (UE4); strong knowledge of C++, and how C++ code interacts with UE4, is required.
The ability to communicate and organize other Programmers is another key skill required in this position. It is key to a smooth and efficient pipeline, you must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with other team-members outside of the department, such as our Artists, Animators, Riggers, Blueprint Scripters, Level Designers and Writers. We are an English-speaking team, so English fluency is a must.
Other duties include: attending Slack meetings (Slack is an instant messaging we communicate with), reporting the progress of the Programming team on a weekly basis and following team policies.
Minimum Skill Requirements:
- C++ programming experience
- Unreal Engine 4 experience, and how C++ code interacts with it
- Providing clear and legible code
- The ability to review other C++ Programmers' code
- Managing and organizing other Programmers, and a fair amount of spare-time in order to manage and communicate with them.
- Online communication, team-collaboration skills, and English fluency
- A passion for coding and a dedication to creating AAA quality games
Recommended Skill Requirements:
- Blueprint scripting experience in Unreal Engine; we have a Lead Blueprint Scripter who handles managing and reviewing Blueprint scripts.
- At least 1 Unreal Engine project (using C++ code) prepared to show prior to the interview. If none, we can provide an assignment at the interview.
- Unreal Engine 4 (https://www.unrealengine.com/register)
- Eclipse IDE for C++ (https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2019-12/r/eclipse-ide-cc-developers), Visual Studio Community Edition (https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/) or any other kind of C++ IDE
All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.