Lead Unreal Engine Developer
- 6000 Museum Dr, Winston-Salem, NC 27105, USA
Epoch Games is a volunteer-based, all-online, global game development team. We have no centrally-located headquarters and are unincorporated at this time. Most of the original founding members were modders developing the total conversion Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (MERP) mod for the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
Currently Epoch Games is developing The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). LoA:SO is an in-development indie open-world RPG set in an original fantasy world. The game is being developed using Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 (UE4):
For more information about the game, please check out our IndieDb page:
NOTE: The address above is the address related to Epoch Games' Incorporation, but is not related to the place of work. We are a fully-online team with no central headquarters at this time. Communication is mostly done via Slack (an instant messaging application) and Trello (an online project collaboration tool).
In this volunteer position you will be managing and coordinating the Programming Department at Epoch Games, as well as assisting with interviewing new potential Programmers. You must be able to spare a fair amount of hours to be online to communicate with the Programming Team on a regular basis. Keep in mind that The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO) is being developed in Epic Game’s Unreal Engine 4 (UE4); moderate knowledge of how C++ code interacts with UE4 is required.
The ability to communicate and organize other Programmers is another key skill required in this position. It is key to a smooth and efficient pipeline, you must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with other team-members outside of the department, such as our Artists, Animators, Level Designers and Writers. We are an English-speaking team, so English fluency is a must.
Other duties include: attending Slack meetings (Slack is an instant messaging we communicate with), reporting the progress of the Programming team on a weekly basis and following team policies.
This is a volunteer position, so no monetary compensation is being offered.
At this time, we are having to rely upon free (or previously licensed) software. Please refer to the applications listed below for guidelines. We do not endorse piracy.
Minimum Skill Requirements:
- C++ programming experience.
- Unreal Engine 4 experience, and how C++ code interacts with it
- Providing clear and legible code.
- Managing and organizing other Programmers, and a fair amount of spare-time in order to communicate and manage them
- Online communication, team-collaboration skills, and English fluency
- A passion for coding and a dedication to creating AAA quality games
Recommended Skill Requirements:
- Blueprint scripting experience in Unreal Engine
- Unreal Engine 4 (https://www.unrealengine.com/register)
- Eclipse IDE for C++ (https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2019-12/r/eclipse-ide-cc-developers), Visual Studio Community Edition (https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/) or any other kind of C++ IDE
All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.