Sr. Director of Regulatory Compliance
- 11550 Ent Pkwy, Colorado Springs, CO 80921, USA
Founded in 1957, Ent is a member-owned credit union with a passion for people, not for profit. With $8+ billion in assets and over 420,000 owner-members across more than forty convenient Front Range locations, Ent is Colorado's largest credit union. In addition to a reputation as a leader in philanthropy and financial literacy, Ent has been nationally recognized by Forbes as the overall #1 credit union in Colorado for four years running. We know that growth, accolades and reputation are a result of the entire Ent family of employees working together to serve our members. To that end, we are equally proud to be recognized as an "employer of choice" and to have received nominations and awards as a "Best Place to Work" in both Southern Colorado and the Denver metro area. Ent's numerous Employee Engagement Groups (EEGs) offer micro-communities of like-minded employees and a chance to express your personal passions through volunteerism and philanthropy while our best-in-class benefits package and competitive salaries reward you for a job well done.
The primary function of the Senior Director of Regulatory Compliance is to oversee the second line of defense compliance team. This position will also coordinate the implementation of Ent’s compliance management system, oversee coordination of the credit union’s operational compliance with applicable international, federal, and state rules, regulations, and statutory requirements with a special focus on the Bank Secrecy Act, Privacy, Record Retention, Member Records, Fair Lending, and Compliance programs. This position also serves as an enterprise-wide consultant to typical organizational compliance issues including regulatory interpretation and training monitoring for existing and proposed credit union directives.
The Senior Director of Regulatory Compliance will oversee, develop, review and/or revise policies, forms, agreements, processes, and disclosures to ensure compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations for all operational functions. This position will ensure the credit union, affiliates, volunteers, and employees understand and abide by internal and regulatory procedures.
As needed, the Senior Director of Regulatory Compliance will serve as a primary consultant for organization-wide compliance awareness and management, requiring a mastery of many, varied regulations, and a strong awareness of available legislative and compliance resources.
The Senior Director of Regulatory Compliance is the credit union’s Bank Secrecy Officer and provides USA PATRIOT Act compliance oversight. The appropriate compliance interaction with operational areas is critical to effective operations and reducing potential liability. This position also acts as the credit union’s Records Officer, responsible for the oversight of timely record and document retention and disposal.
Compliance Strategic Oversight:
- Assessing emerging issues and potential liabilities.
- Reporting compliance activities to senior management and the Board.
- Developing compliance policies, procedures, and disclosures.
- Reviewing policies and procedures for compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensuring corrective actions are implemented in a timely manner and are effective to prevent recurrence.
- Training management, employees, and volunteers in consumer protection laws and regulations.
- Coordinating investigation and responses to consumer complaints.
- Must keep current on all existing / emerging compliance regulations relevant to the banking industry.
- Coordinating the implementation of a compliance management system.
- Oversee all Compliance modules of the GRC application.
- Consulting and determining compliance risk in existing and soon to be implemented products, services, and other organizational activities as a part of cross-functional teams.
Departmental Management & Leadership:
- Provide clarification / direction on work assignments.
- Provide direct reports coaching / mentoring / leadership development opportunities towards achieving development goals.
- Support compliance staff in their daily duties as needed.
- Building the team by sourcing, selecting, and retaining the correct resources.
Other duties as required
Minimum formal education required for this position:
Knowledge consistent with Bachelor’s degree in Pre-Law, Business, Business Administration, or a related field.
(Preferred) Juris Doctorate degree in Law or degree equivalent.
Each year of relevant work experience may be exchanged for a year in a relevant degree program or vice versa. For example, a requirement of “Knowledge Consistent with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and 2+ years’ of accounting experience” could be substituted for a High School Diploma and 6 years of relevant accounting work experience or a Master’s Degree in Accounting and 0 years of work experience.
Minimum work experience:
10+ years’ financial institution experience in Regulatory Compliance, as a practicing attorney, or as a regulator of financial institutions. At least 5 years’ financial institution experience with Regulatory Compliance in a heightened expectations regulatory environment (10+ billion asset size).
6+ years’ relevant experience supporting financial services practices.
(Preferred) 3+ years’ experience and involvement with an in-house credit card portfolio.
Key Attitudes / Characteristics / Specialized Knowledge / Skills for this position:
- Pragmatism – the ability to transform regulatory expectations and risk frameworks into reality commensurate with the nature and extent of risk for the size of Ent Credit Union yet be able to scale up to support growth.
- Keeping it real – knowledge, skill, and ability to manage operational risk programs contributing to the growth and decision making of the institution.
- Must be results-oriented – nothing is more important than getting it done.
- Strong reporting and analytical skills - effectively analyze significant amounts of data to facilitate understanding, decision-making, as well as synthesizing that data into usable and summarized information.
- Ability to establish good rapport with various areas of the organization and outside counsel, while building and maintaining working relationships with all levels of management, committees, and board of Senior Directors yet have the wherewithal to provide credible challenge.
- Able to explain complex concepts and terms in relatable ways to build understanding and acceptance of regulatory changes that may be required.
- Broad knowledge of, and practical experience with, credit unions or other financial institution operating areas, functions, products and services and the laws and regulations which apply to credit unions.
- Commitment to being a part of a high-performing team and driving change.
- Knowledge of industry specific regulations and codes.
- Extremely strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Mastery of technical writing skills.
- High level of comfort reviewing legal documents/opinions and recommending appropriate actions.
- Basic competency with the Microsoft Office Suite of products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, Visio).
- At least one certification such as:
- Bank Secrecy Act (BSA)
- NAFCU Certified Compliance Officer (NCCO)
- or other specialized banking compliance certification authorized by the Vice President of Legal and Regulatory Compliance.
Environmental, Physical and Psychological Requirements
- Standing - Occasionally
- Walking - Occasionally
- Sitting - Frequently
- Lifting - Rarely (40 Lbs)
- Carrying - Rarely
- Pushing - Rarely
- Pulling - Rarely
- Balancing - Rarely
- Stooping - Rarely
- Kneeling - Rarely
- Crouching - Rarely
- Crawling - Rarely
- Reaching - Occasionally
- Handling - Occasionally
- Grasping - Occasionally
- Feeling - Occasionally
- Talking - Frequently
- Hearing - Frequently
- Repetitive Motions - Frequently
- Eye/Hand/Foot Coordination - Occasionally
- Noises louder than normal speaking volume - Occasionally
- Temperature Changes - Rarely
- Atmospheric Conditions - Rarely
Typical Pay Range: $119,745.60 - $179,608.00 - The salary for this position is open to negotiation, compensation will consider education and experience and is eligible for annual corporate bonus based upon performance. Ent also offers a flexible work arrangement policy.
For information on our benefits, please visit: Benefits Summary Sheet - 2021
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)