Electrode Development Engineer
EnPower, Inc. is a privately-held company commercializing next-generation Li-ion batteries that have fast-charging and long cycle-life capabilities—critical enablers to the mass electrification of vehicles. Headquartered in Indianapolis, IN, we have the capacity to produce hundreds of megawatt hours annually. We are passionate about what we do and are looking for high-voltage, high-ampere individuals to join our team!
The Electrode Development Engineer will lead formulation and design of multi-layer electrodes. This candidate will work with a cross-functional materials team in a fast-paced environment of rapid iteration. This position will entail raw material characterization through electrode characterization, including the definition of quality control parameters and assisting with production scale-up.
- Lead ceramic separator formulation and qualification. Take responsibility for all aspects thereof, including ceramic and binder systems.
- Investigate alternate silicon active materials.
- Define Quality Control (QC) requirements for incoming material and finished electrode.
- Self-starter with the ability to take initiative, exercise judgment, and work independently.
- Ability to thrive under time pressures while embracing changing priorities.
- Characterize slurries using pH probe, surface tension, and conductivity meters.
- Characterize electrode coatings using 4-point probes, SEM analysis, optical microscopy, mandrel tests, and peel tests.
- Build coin cells to analyze electrodes’ electrochemical performance. For example, charge/discharge rate capacity and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS).
- Process datasets using software and programming languages such as Python.
- Complete lab and pilot-scale mixing, coating, and calendering experiments.
- B.S., M.S. or PhD in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or related field.
- 3+ years of experience in lab environment.
- Experience working with lab-scale battery testing and silicon materials/ceramics.
- Familiarity with programming languages such as python.
- Familiarity with metrology equipment including SEM, TGA, DSC, BET, etc.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. and perform the following for extended periods of time:
- Standing or sitting
- Repetitive motions and lifting
• Creative, first-principles thinker
• Self-driven, independent, and capable of solving problems
• Willingness to continuously learn
• Effective communicator using precise language
• Ability to work in a diverse, intellectually challenging, and rapid-paced team