R&D Cell Engineer - Summer '23 Interns
EnPower, Inc. is a privately held Li-ion battery company commercializing next-generation cells that solve the energy power trade-off – a critical enabler to the mass electrification of vehicles. Headquartered in Indianapolis, IN, we have the capacity to produce up to 1.5 GWh annually. We are passionate about quietly doing our part to drive the energy transition and we seek high-voltage, high-ampere individuals to join our team! Are you ready to make it happen?
EnPower is always interested in bringing on proactive and passionate individuals through its internship opportunities. We view it as a great way to invest in young, energetic, world-class talent early on, and as a direct pipeline into full-time roles within the company. As a multi-disciplinary team commercializing critical technologies for electric mobility and other markets, EnPower's technical breadth encompasses materials science at the nanoscale, process optimizations at the micro-scale, manufacturing hardware engineering on the macro-scale, electrical engineering for integrated systems, software engineering for sample tracking, and more! We're an execution-focused team with rapidly evolving needs, and thus we gravitate towards versatile, "roll-your-sleeves-up" type engineers.
Project 1 - Cell Optimization
- Design and implement a plan to improve an aspect of the li-ion cell design or manufacturing process with guidance from an engineer
- Build and test electrodes and cells in a variety of formats, including coin cell and pouch cell
- Process and analyze data from tests
- Communicate findings effectively to a variety of audiences
Project 2 - Mixing Process Improvement
- Design, build, and test cells composed of multilayer coatings for improved high-rate performance and other cell metrics
- Develop cell format improvements, test methods/apparatus, or data processing and reporting procedures
- Contribute to process developments in build procedures and testing protocols
- Mixing improvements
- Effect of mixing time and shear rate on slurry and electrode conductivity
- Research and implementation of method/process to measure slurry conductivity
- Research and implementation of a method/process to use powder handling system for slurry mixing
- Working towards a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, or other engineering discipline
- Preferred rising Seniors, will consider rising Sophomores and rising Juniors.
- 15-week internship – May – mid August, 40 hours a week.
- On-site in Indianapolis (Castleton area)
- Must be Authorized to work in the US
- Creative, first-principles thinker
- Self-driven, independent, and capable of solving problems on the fly
- Willingness to continuously learn
- Effective communicator using precise language
- Ability to work in a diverse, intellectually challenging, and rapid-paced team
- Must love dogs
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.