R & D Engineer
- 777 W Pinnacle Peak Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85027, USA
EnPower, Inc. is an early-stage startup developing next-generation Li-ion batteries that have fast-charging and long cycle-life capabilities—critical enablers to the mass electrification of vehicles. Our R&D, pilot manufacturing, and sales operations are based out of our engineering facility & headquarters located in the north Phoenix - Deer Valley area. We are passionate about what we do, and are looking for high-voltage,
high-ampere individuals to join our team!
The R & D Engineer will be responsible for the characterization of Li-ion battery material components, including active materials, electrolytes, and inactive materials to enable the Cell Engineering Team to develop optimized cell designs. The R & D Engineer is expected to lead design of experiments, produce and test coin cells, coordinate with Electrode Processing and Assembly Technicians to scale up experiments, and collaborate with the Testing Engineer to ensure cells are tested to protocols as experimentally designed. The R & D Engineer is also expected to seek out additional characterization methodologies outside of company capabilities, and collaborate with third-party organizations as necessary. You will be expected to communicate frequently and directly with the CTO to review results from experiments, and continually advance the mission of building better batteries.
- Sourcing, characterizing, and evaluating active materials, electrolytes, and inactive materials from various suppliers
- Independently building test coin cells for materials characterizations, including mixing, coating, assembling, testing, and post-mortem
- Working with third-party organizations (including contractors, test labs, and universities) to utilize state-of-art characterization techniques
- Designing experiments (DoE) and working closely with Cell Testing Engineers for proper execution
- Presenting experimental results to Cell Engineering Team to optimize large capacity cell designs
- M.S. in Materials Engineering or Electrochemistry with a focus on energy storage
- 2 - 5 years’ commercial/industrial experience in Li-ion battery development
- Knowledge of proper coin cell construction and various electrochemical testing techniques, including familiarity with Arbin/Maccor/Neware/Bio-Logic battery analyzers, EIS/FRA, CV, LVS, 3- electrode cell testing, etc.
- Knowledge of basic materials characterization techniques, including SEM, XRD, BET, laser particle size analyzers, TGA, etc.
- Previous experience with the following will be highly preferred:
- Formulations design for Li-ion battery electrodes
- Hands-on pouch cell, 18650/26650/2170, prismatic cell assembly experience
- Production-scale manufacturing of Li-ion cells and familiarity with production equipment
- Self-driven, independent, and capable of solving problems on the fly
- Effective communicator using precise language
- Ability to work in a diverse, intellectually-challenging, and rapid-paced team
- Must love dogs
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.